Review by Gelato_Lady

"A decent game that just falls short."

Teen Titans, as a series, was known for its rather sharp-witted humor, engaging fight scenes, and frequent roommate scuffles between the five heroes, who all resided under one rather conspicuous roof--a gigantic building in the shape of a "T" resting on a tiny island in the bay of the nearby city. Compared to other cartoons at its time (aimed at the same audience, of course), Teen Titans was a diamond in the rough. Unfortunately, its playstation 2 counterpart does not live up to the series' standards.

Graphics
The graphics this game "boasts," if you will, are nothing short of N64/PS1 caliber. The characters and environments are extremely chunky and blocky, and when the cinematic sequences took place, I found myself appalled at the fact that I could actually SEE pixels and polygons--and I was not even looking for them. However, every character is detailed well enough so that one could easily distinguish him/her from the others, but it is a shame that the developers did not use the PS2's amazing graphic capabilities to their full potential, as many other games have. These graphics will not ruin the game for you, but considering what system(s) it is on, you will definitely notice them--and NOT for the better. Out of the ten (yes, ten) playstation 2 games I own, this one is, by far, the worst graphically speaking.

Sound
One of the many great aspects of this game (graphics aside), is the fact that every single voice actor/actress for every single character in this game is the original actor/actress from the series. Tara Strong provides Raven's voice while Khary Payton fills in for Cyborg. Jinx, Bumblebee, and Speedy all claim their original VAs from the series, even though they themselves are not actually in the story mode section of the game--merely in the versus mode.

The music for this game is actually quite good, in my opinion. However, this may be due in part to the fact that I mute my TV almost every time I play a game, since I would much rather be listening to my own music than a game's pre-selected track. When I would listen to it, which was not very often, it was just fine--nothing to write home about, but nothing terrible, either. It was neither horrendous, nor was it memorable--except for the Teen Titans intro music, taken directly from the series, but tweaked a little. For example, there is one version of the intro in which Larry the Titan sings it in Japanese! Hysterical, but old and annoying the second time through.

Gameplay
Throughout the game you will battle many famous villains, including Mumbo-Jumbo, Jinx, Mammoth, Gizmo, and of course, Slade, among others. The controls are extremely straightforward, so much so that it should only take you between 5-15 minutes to absolutely master them. There are arrows that constantly flash and point you in the right direction, which is sometimes nice, but usually a slap in the face, as if they expect their audience not to know how to find the path for themselves. Aside from other obvious missteps, such as requiring the player to strike the enemy about 10 times until it finally decides to die, implementing bomb-creatures whose sole purpose in life is to blow up upon being touched, and having the four other CPU Titans do almost nothing productive sure makes the game tedious. However, there is multiplayer mode, entitled Master of Games mode.

There are about 36 characters to choose from, and 13 different arenas at your disposal in versus mode. Unfortunately, online play is not available, but playing against friends (up to four with the multi-tap) or with friends in the story mode will suffice. Unfortunately, when playing against the CPU in versus mode, they tend to block every single one of your attacks, and then proceed to hurl you across the room--even when you are blocking, or trying to pick them up. In addition, I have found it rather difficult to pick people up using the airborne characters, such as Raven and Starfire. The people on the ground can pick others up with little problem, but the flying ones do not seem to like the idea of lifting enemies up for some reason. However, this can easily be overlooked due to the vast array of special attacks you have at your disposal.

Story
The story is rather simple, really. An unmarked video game is sent to the Tower and it stars the Teen Titans. Beast Boy and Cyborg are playing it, and when it registers "Game Over," Robin becomes suspicious and asks to see the game. Beast Boy tries to extract it from the console, but to no avail. All of a sudden, a bright white light encompasses them all, and before they know what happened, their Tower is being overrun with HIVE soldiers.

The Titans will be trying to figure out why they are in a game (they figured that much out later on) and they keep blaming it all on Slade, of course. The ending, however, it extremely anti-climactic and seems like the creators took the easy way out instead of trying to think up an ingenious twist. Granted, there is a twist, but the one in the game is a major letdown.

Conclusion
Although this game is strangely fun and addicting to some degree, it does not live up to its title--or the system(s) it was developed for. It is, however, great for multiplayers, but its story mode is simply lackluster.

Buy or Rent?
If you are a fan of the series, buy it. Definitely, buy it! The VAs are there, there are cute, in-game jokes between characters, and you have a plethora of multiplayer characters to choose from! However, if you are not a fan, or you prefer to have deep, engaging games in your collection, then rent it.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 06/19/06