Review by Nasgul07

"Yup...this game smells good!"

-INTRODUCTION-
The recreation of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is finally here. Can you smell that? That's the smell of perfection...sort of. Although, Subsistence isn't a perfect game, it deserves every ounce of the score I gave it. The stunning graphics, the confusing and yet captivating story, the addicting gameplay, should all receive praise. I, for one, am glad that I had the opportunity to play a game as amazing as this.

-STORY- -10/10-
Set in 1964 in the former Soviet Union, Snake is dropped in to rescue a man named Sokolov, a developer of the Shagohod, a nuclear equipped tank, and take him to the other side of the Iron Curtain. Upon failing this mission, another surprise hits Snake: The Boss, his mentor and teacher, defects to the Soviet Union. Snake's new mission begins and his objectives are to rescue Sokolov, destroy the Shagohod, and eliminate The Boss and her COBRAs.
How can you not love a story that brilliant?

-GAMEPLAY- -10/10-
Being a stealth game, this is naturally difficult until you get the hang of it. Unlike the previous Metal Gear games where you take cover behind something, wait for the enemy to pass, then make a run for it, on this game, you're usually out in the open, but you have your camouflage to aid you. To be honest, the enemies' camo will fool you as much as your's fools them. Along with stealth, you can try the direct approach with CQC(Close Quarters Combat) and take the enemy down. Subsistence is one of those few games with extraordinary boss battles that you won't find anywhere else. Snake has to stay active which means he will lose stamina. In order to prevent that, he'll have to eat various flora and fauna throughout the land. Of course he won't have caterers bringing him the food. He'll have to hunt for it himself! After playing this game, you'll have dreams about it that very night. Have fun!

-GRAPHICS- -10/10-
Smooth, crisp, clean, and stunning all describe Subsistence's graphics. From the environments to the characters to the wildlife, all are simply......stunning. The lighting effects are great, and the realistic......everything! The graphics and lighting really set the mood. I seriously can't get enough!

-MUSIC/SOUND- -10/10
As soon as you pop the disc in, you'll hear the Snake Eater theme song, which is entitles -of course- "Snake Eater." When you hear this, you'll drop to the ground and start twitching uncontrollably. The sound is - is - is.... I can't even think of a word that would describe something so heavenly. Yes, that's it - HEAVENLY! Not just in the song, but throughout the entire game. The sound of wildlife, the wonderful voice acting, the music that really gets you into the game. It's all just so heavenly! When playing Subsistence, make sure you have the volume on your TV up loud. You'll thank me for that!

-ONLINE GAMEPLAY- -8/10-
The downside of Subsistence. Still a great addition to the Metal Gear series. This is taking Metal Gear to the next level. Get online, form a clan, battle others, make rivals, have fun whupping each others butts. And that's all there is to it.

-REPLAY VALUE- -9/10-
Hidden camouflage, secret weapons, all the food, and love of the game. All reasons you should play Subsistence all over again, and all the reasons you WILL be playing Subsistence all over again. I have played through this game so many times that I lost track. It will probably be the same for you. You won't be able to resist the tempting gameplay of...Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/27/06