Review by Austin7591

"You are Snake! You are Big Boss and he is one BAD Man!"

Metal Gear Solid: Subsistence is Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater revamped. The new camera angle and extra content make this game an instant classic and what the series should have been for a long time. For those of you who have played Snake Eater and those of you who are new to the whole thing, I won't spoil it too much but understand that this game is a prequel that takes place in 1964 before the original Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid on Playstation.

Gamplay (10/10)
For many of use used to playing the Metal Gear series, we have always been used to that topical view that Konami has given us staying true to its own formula. Now, finally and with anticipation, they have decided to fully make the game fitted with a 3D camera. I have played the original Snake Eater and for me, with the inclusion of the camera, it feels like I am playing an entirely different game. Now you can look around corners and take cover properly without someone coming behind you and giving you a heart attack. The controls are also easy enough to figure out and with the new view, you are now able to fight hand-to-hand or sneak up behind enemies and slice their throats much easier than before allowing you to fully feel the stealth that the game wants you to feel.

That does not mean that it is a Splinter Cell rip-off, however, you feel finally like you are in control of Snake (Big Boss) with authority.

Graphics (10/10)
This game is by far one of the most PRETTIEST GAMES on the PS2. The visuals and the haze that you can actually see due to the jungle heat makes you feel as if you are there too. I actually felt the heat myself playing especially with some of the bosses that you fight during the game. They are unique and in tradition of the over the tope characters that we all remember from Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2. The movement feels and looks really good as well and soldiers AI actually makes sense. They don't just stand there wondering what they heard.

Controls (8/10)
I honestly don't have a problem with the controls in the game. They are actually mapped out pretty well. and the learning curve should only be about 2 or 3 minutes. If you have played the MGS in the past then this one won't shock you. The only thing that I had a problem with was the fact that when you try to kill animals with your knife (in order to keep soldiers from hearing gunshots) you would have to actually crawl on the ground. That made things very sloppy at times especially if there was an animal that you needed to use for energy.

Also, I noticed that the targeting would get pretty difficult at times when you were shooting at many enemies. If you wanted to be precise, you had no choice but to use the FPS mode with your weapon to make sure that you are hitting the soldiers. There was an automatic target option that the game has but this is the easiest when you are shooting from a distance. Many times I found myself being hit by soldiers because I was trying to find cover and reload and fire at them all at the same time. It was the most annoying especially after Boss helps you escape the compound after you are injured.

Sound (9/10)
The game grasps what it was like for soldiers that were in the jungle in Vietnam and some of the Korean wars. The animals, the crickets, the sound of someone stepping through quicksand or mud, the sound of soldiers being near or far and the sound of your weapon going off were all very accurate. I myself have been in the jungles in Africa and I can tell you that they sound very reminiscent of the same thing.

The musice was spectacular as you could hear the thrilling music being played when the soldiers alert one another of an intruder. Even when you finally get towards of the end of the game, you will feel your heart pound with one of the most thrilling chase seens that was so consistent with big budget movies.

Overall (10/10)
All I can say is that before the PS3 comes out, and for those of us that don't have the wade of cash to splurge on getting it at the $499 price for 20GB of hardrive memory, this is your last chance to play as Snake and not just any Snake but the one that started it all and see why this guy was really dangerous. Some may find the referals to Boss and Big Boss cheesy, but it shows why Boss was such a main factor and influence to Big Boss and why he became what he became.

If you have not played it yet, then you should. If you haven't played MGS2 yet, then play this first and that after seeing as how that is the order that it comes in anyway. Even though I will admit, it is hard for me to play MGS2 over again after being introduced to that 3D camera. But this game should be a part of every PS2 owners collection. I have no regrets.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 05/21/06