Review by Naspen

"I didn't think it could get any better, but it did"

When Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater came out, I fell in love with the game and thought that it could never get any better than it already was. Then later, I heard about Subsistence and I thought to myself, "Oh no, they are going to butcher a good game." Well, when Subsistence finally came out, I figured that I had to try it, even if they happened to screw up the game. And when I actually tried the game I realized that I was completely wrong, and that they actually HAD succeeded in making the game better.

GAME PLAY: The game play in Subsistence is incredible! In the game you play as the legendary Snake. You are basically on a mission to save the world from a third World War. But in order to do this, you must survive. And in order to survive in this game you must be stealthy. And to help you to achieve these things you have all kinds of techniques and items at your disposal. You can jump, roll, dive, hang on things, sneak up on someone, etc. You have all kinds of different CQC (Close Quarters Combat) grapple techniques to take the enemy down fast. There are also all kinds of different weapons at your disposal: close range weapons, side arms, assault rifles, sniper rifles, bazookas, grenades, etc. There are also even some gadgets and such: sonar, binoculars, cardboard boxes (for sneaking around), thermal goggles, night vision goggles, motion detectors, mine detectors, etc. Plus, there are also all kinds of different camouflages that you have that help you to blend in with any environment. And if you run low on stamina you have to find something to eat, or kill something to eat, and these eatable items include: mushrooms, ink caps, snakes, frogs, fish, birds, crocodiles, rations that are made for eating, etc. And if you get hurt in your mission then you have to use the following medical supplies: ointment, disinfectant, styptic, splints, bandages, suture kits, serums (anti- venom), digestive medicines, etc.

PLOT: As in the previous Metal Gear Solid games, the plot is the very best part of the game. There are all kinds of twists and turns and you have absolutely no idea what will happen next. In fact the plot is so advanced that you can play the game for the rest of your life and still not fully understand the plot.

SIGHTS AND SOUNDS: The sights and the sounds in Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence are incredible. All of the characters look extremely real, and the facial expressions on the characters are all very realistic. The voice acting of the character is also very good. And also, environments that you through are also look very realistic and also sounds very much like they would sound like in real life.

NEW FEATURES: In Subsistence they added a brand new overhead camera view, so now you have a better sense of your surroundings. They have also added a new on line mode to the game, so now you can test your Metal Gear Solid skills on line against your friends. And you can now play the first 2 original Metal Gear games (Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake), and this is also included along with the game. And if you got the limited edition version of the game there is also a disc that comes with it that shows all of the cut scenes of MGS3 in a movie like fashion. And this isn't all, there is much, much more.

OVERALL SUMMARY: In my opinion, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence is the best game ever created. And overall, I would give Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence a 10/10.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/23/06