Review by dare2wish

"This is not an old game made better....it is a whole new game!"

I regretted missing out on Snake Eater when it was first released because I realized that I was missing out on a revolutionary title for the Playstation 2. I vowed that I would pick it up before it would fade into obscurity like Sons of Liberty. Then came Subsistence and my prayers were answered. I picked up Subsistence as soon as it was released and hurried home to give it a whirl. And what I ended up getting was one of the most fulfilling and beautiful gaming experiences in my life.

Story – 10/10 – Never having played Snake Eater before this the story was quite amazing and felt like a large-scale cinematic production at times and not simply a game. The story is quite simple. Naked Snake is an elite operative sent deep into the jungles of the Soviet Union during the cold war to locate and destroy a bipedal tank known as the Shagohod. However, there are so many twists and turns along the way that you will be drawn into the story from beginning to end.

Graphics – 10/10 – I will go as far as to say that these are the best graphics I have ever seen in a game on any console not the just the Playstation 2. I spent so many hours simply exploring the lush jungle environments and simply gazed in awe as I traversed a giant mountain filled with enemies. The subtle touches are what make this game shine and make the player want to stop and look at everything.

Gameplay – 10/10 – This is easily the factor that makes Subsistence an immediate purchase. There are so many unlockables and extras that it simply makes a person wonder how a game can be this good. Besides getting extra camouflage and even great bonus items to be used in the game there is also an inclusion of online play. This is what made rush out and buy Subsistence folks, the online play. Although the brilliant single player campaign was over I spent nearly 3 months simply playing online and I enjoyed it immensely. That isn't to say the main game isn't good in fact the number of things you can do such as hunting your own food and evading your enemies in many creative ways are quite astounding.

Sound – 10/10 – The music is simply amazing with an orchestral score by Harry Gregson Williams that seems to suit every situation perfectly. You will find yourself being moved by many tracks and you might even feel a range of emotions from excitement to even sorrow.

Replayability – 10/10 – If the fact that Metal Gear Online is now present doesn't convince you that this game has a near infinite amount of replayability does not convince you to purchase Subsistence then I don't know what will. There are many mini games to play and the main game can be played so many times without boredom sinking in.

Conclusion – 10/10 – If you are like me and you missed out on Subsistence, then I strongly recommend you pick this up before it becomes hard to find because I will guarantee you that you will never have an experience quite like this in your life. Subsistence is not simply a game; it is an “experience.”

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/22/07