Review by Herugrim

"time for MGS3.2!"

Intro: I've been a fan of the Metal Gear Solid series since MGS1 on the play station 1, and I haven't been disappointed yet (well, not overall). MGS3: Snake Eater certainly lived up to the title, and Subsistence added a lot to an already great game. Overall, I'll be reviewing this as a whole game, not just what's been upgraded or hasn't.

You can't ask for any better on the PS2. Everything from Camouflage to the jungle itself has been incredibly detailed in the process of this game. Character animations are smooth and natural, and the cut scenes have that same classic, cinematic feel that made the first MGS so much fun to play. The flames during one of the boss fights (with The Fury) look fantastic, and made me wish we got a flamethrower to use in the game. Details on enemies are impressive too. Gun muzzles glint from a distance, blood stains clothing, and characters react realistically. The only downside is that there's some minor collision detection problems, but they're so small that you'll hardly notice them. Certainly nothing bad for this generation of games.

The sound effects in the game are top notch. Although some may try to argue that David Hayter can no longer act, being someone who's been exposed to all of his work in the series, I can say without a doubt that he once again gives us a Solid effort as Snake. All the other voices in the game sound good too, real professional. As always, guns, explosions, and other special effects are realistically portrayed as well. The only downside I would say there is for the sound is the music scores selected for the game. For some reason, there's a number of classic James Bond style theme songs laced throughout the game, and they just don't seem befitting of the series. It stands out particularly in the final boss battle, where it just doesn't fit at all.

Since MGS1 came out, the stealth-action genre of videogames has grown considerably, and so Konami finds itself with some tough competition. MGS3 expanded on the core mechanics of the series by placing the game in a jungle setting. This meant that while sneaking around was still the emphasis, survival was added to it. Now Snake must eat food, found either in the wild or procured from enemy resources, in order to restore his Stamina. Also, when Snake is afflicted with wounds, he must stop to use medical equipment to fix himself up so they will heal faster. Wearing camouflage and hiding in tall grass also added a lot to the gameplay. Those of you that prefer the classic style of sneaking need not fear, however. There's a number of settings provided that allow for the classic feel of the old MGS games. Some places even Camo just isn't enough. Subsistence added an important feature, a free camera. Whereas in classic MGS games, you're stuck with an overhead view, Subsistence gives you a free-roaming camera that's easy to control.

Extras: 10/10
It's hard to find a game these days that gives you a good reason to play the game again, but Subsistence delivers. There are many different ways to play the game. You could try going through the entire game without ever being detected, or you could try to get through without killing anybody. Then, you can always try to go Rambo and just mow everybody down. Unlockables also add to replay value, and can change a variety of experiences in the game. Stealth Camo and the bandana return once again, and a handful of Guns and other equipment unlocked by beating the game will still be there in your replays. Also, Subsistence comes with a second disk known as Persistence. The Online game is no longer up, but you still get two complete extra games. Metal Gear, and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, both retranslated to be more accurate. Now you can have the complete cannon series on one system.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence is an excellent game for it's genre, for the system, and just in general. The story is incredible, the cut scenes that tell it are great, the gameplay is solid, the graphics are smooth, and the sound is top notch. You can't as for much more in a video game. Get it first if you like, or get it last, just get it!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/30/07