Review by SirDomino

"An excellent piece of work, a future franchise, for sure."

Ah, this is a great game, simply put. It's fairly easy to get into, but difficult to master. When I first heard about this, I admit, I was pretty hesitant. I enjoy rhythm games like DDR and such, but this just seemed like a silly idea. "Guitar Hero? Why would I want to pretend to play guitar? Ever heard of 'Air Guitar'? It's free." Yeah, that's me. But I've seen the error of my ways! Read on, dear reader! Don't make the same mistakes I did, take it with an open mind.

Story
Uh, it's a rhythm game. You start out as a rock-scene grunt, playing itty-bitty little venues, but as you progress through the game's Career Mode, you unlock more songs and stages. I have to say, it's neat that they at least made an attempt at a story (as meager as it is. It is a rhythm game, so I cut some slack)
6/10

Graphics
Eh, pretty fair. They have some cool characters, who seem to come from different music genres, and each character has their own fretboards (where the notes come down on) and star-power moves (more on star-power later). The venues are all pretty cool, and the crowd moves and functions well; however, there are many repeated character models.
7/10

Audio
Winner! They did a simply AWESOME job here. Although all the songs are covers, they're done quite well. They also chose music from different genres, but there are a lot of tunes that would be considered "Classic Rock". Some of my favorites are "Texas Flood", "I Wanna Be Sedated", and "No One Knows" (Stevie Ray Vaughn, The Ramones, and Queens of the Stone Age, respectively). Being a ska fan, I would've appreciated some ska songs, but beggars can't be choosers. Aside from the track list, the crowd noises are good, and when you make mistakes, it sounds like you really messed up. Cool. However, many will complain at the lack of 'metal' songs. But they're just not paying close enough attention, or quit before they get to the good stuff (Pantera, anyone?) Just stick it out 'til the end, there's some great stuff here. There are also a bunch of unlockable songs, but many of them are pretty poppy. I do suggest "Cheat on the Church", that song rocks hard.
9.5/10

Gameplay
Here's the meat of the game. Basically, it's a super-toned-down version of real guitar. To hit notes, you press one of five colored buttons with your off-hand while strumming on the... Strum Bar. It takes a little while to get used to the co-ordination of it, but it's really fun once you've got the hang of it. There's also a neat little motion sensor in the guitar that lets you activate "Star-Power" with a tilt. "What's 'Star-Power'?" you ask? Placed sparingly throughout the songs are series of notes shaped like stars. If you hit all of these notes, a meter goes up, and at halfway, you activate the star-power and your score multiplier doubles. There's also a cool little whammy-bar on the guitar, which you can use on long notes to boost your score. Like any rhythm game, you have a health meter type meter. If it empties, you fail the song, plain n' simple. With four difficulty levels and somewhere around 40 songs (I think), this game will last you years.
9.5/10 (I don't give out 10's, ever)

So, whether you're a guitar player for real or not, you'll enjoy this game! All you need is a open mind! And fingers/hands/arms... You know, the works (I'm sorry if any limbless people are offended by this, I'm sure there's some way for you guys to play too). So go! Buy it! Find a friend with it! Play it at some store! ROCK ON!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/18/07