Review by Wist

"Now people can melt faces without knowing anything about music!"

Introduction:
So there I was, guitar in hand, totally rockin out in front of a large crowd. I totally nailed the solo and the crowd went nuts. Yeah, I was the lead guitarist for Pantera. Not really, but in this game you can be. The guitar is your weapon of choice and the targets are the faces of your fans, which you must melt off with gravity defying leads and mind boggling solos.

Gameplay:
This game is 100% gameplay. You can either pick up a guitar and enter single player mode which is basically you versus the crowd. Make too many mistakes and you get booed off stage. Nail the song to move on. On the guitar there are 5 buttons each representing a note. There is also some sort of long joystick type thing that you have to strum on the notes too. So in essense, it is a dumbed down guitar. There is also a whammy bar that you can use for extra points. As the song plays notes scroll down the neck of the guitar on the screen. Hit these notes to get points, nail consecutive notes to get a multiplier. Enter two player mode where two people can duel their shredding skills. Pick a song and go back and forth taking the lead of the song and see who can get the most points. Be careful though because the skill level among users just like in other similar games (DDR and American Idol type games) vary. When I first started I wasn't that good and my friends were absolutely amazing. After a while though I caught up to them in skill and now we all play on expert masterfully. It sounds like a really simple game and thats because it is, and man this is such a fun game to play. Great party game as well.

Story:
Nothing that special. You are a rockstar. That is all that needs to be said.

Sound:

You are a rockstar that plays a plethora of awesome songs. Here are SOME of the songs you will play. Enough said...

Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
Megadeth - Symphony of Destruction
White Zombie - Thunderkiss 65
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust

Graphics:
The graphics aren't great but they don't need to be. You don't really watch your guitarist guy shred that much since you are too concentrated on the notes. As for people watching, they usually watch the constant flowing of insane notes. The guitarists and guitars you can choose are somewhat neat as well. Everything ranging from 80's rockstars with flying Vs to the grim reaper playing a scythe. You can also customize your guitars.

Flaws:
I didn't really find anything too obviously wrong with this game. Its pretty simple fun and since its not complicated its hard to get stuff wrong.

Replayability:
How long is your attention span? You'll probably play this by yourself for quite a while and if you are the type that has friends who like music and/or this game you will probably play this game for a while. A few of my friends play this game and we all get together and play for hours trying to outshred each other.

Conclusion:
What a neat fun game. Fan of Gitaroo Man (if not maybe you should get that too)? You'll probably like this as well. You can shred on your PS2! End of discussion.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/30/05