Review by Jet Black88

"Rock fans, rejoice!"

The lords of rock at Red Octane and Harmonix have blessed us with the opportunity to feel like rock gods. You don't have to know the difference between a Fender and a Gibson to enjoy this game. There is little going against what I believe is one of the greatest rhythm games of all time.

Graphics
There's nothing here to really blow you away, but that doesn't mean that they don't get the job done well. The character animations are great, and the bass player is the coolest man I know. The fret boards look really nice and are unique to each character, but you don't spend much time looking at them when you're playing. The lead singer's mouth is synced up with the lyrics, and each set you play has it's own style to it. Overall, nothing to complain about.

Sound
This is where the game shines. 30 tracks of well known rock hits. Everything from "Smoke on the Water" to "Stellar". Any fan of rock will have a song to enjoy, and this game may even open you up to a few songs you didn't know but enjoy. All of the songs are done by cover bands, which may sound like a bad thing, but these guys are professional musicians. Most of the songs sound very close to the originals, and they are all very listenable. Besides these tracks, there are also 17 additional underground songs. These songs are actually very cool, too.

Besides the soundtrack, the sound effects are fairly neat, most of them being guitar generated.

Overall, this is the best part of the game.

Gameplay
Easy to pick up, difficult to master. Those few words describe Guitar Hero very well. The farther you get into this game, the more you feel like you're playing the guitar. Everything in this game is a blast. The game does get to be fairly complicated, with the hammer ons and pull offs. You can also use the whammy bar built into the guitar. There isn't much I can say about this part of the game besides that it kicks ass in every way.

...
The only thing that I can say is that if you like rock, you'll love this game. The only thing that makes me hesitate to give it a 10 is that I wish it had a more extensive song selection. It is a truly great game, and deserves to be in any gamer's game collection.

Bottomline: Pick up this game, and kiss your air guitar goodbye.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/21/06