Review by horror_spooky

"Double-Ya! Double-Ya! E! WEE!"

Wrestling, the sport (in my opinion) one half of the world loves...and the other half hates. Wrestling has drastically changed through the years. From what's considered the glory days of the 80s to the new generation of superstars. Wrestling has effected a lot of industries, from television, to books, to movies. Wrestling has also effected the industy all of us love. The videogames industry.

Note that you might have to be a major wrestling junkie like I am to fully enjoy this game. It's pretty much intended for fanboys, which there are a lot of, including myself. Wrestling videogames are some of the best games ever, and people that aren't really wrestling fanactics agree. WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2006 is no exception.

There are a lot of new features that weren't in it's predecessor. You can win trophies and the story lines are separated out into little chapters. There are a ton of superstars to pick from and to unlock. There are situations where your enviroment really comes in handy to beat out your opponent. There is a lot more humor then there was in the other game, plus more match types to choose from. There is also a new type of season mode you can play called "Manager Mode" where you are a manager of one of the WWE shows, Smackdown or Raw. You have to compete to get the best ratings. You get to set up the matches, start the rivarlies, set up promos all to beat the other brand. Also there is a ton of multiplayer matches you can play to keep you entertained for hours.

Just like last time, you can unlock a bunch of WWE legends. For example there is Hollywood Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, Bret "The Hitman" Hart, and a few other legends you can unlock. To unlock things and buy them, you need to unlock them in season mode. This greatly increases replayability, by the way. Then you can buy them in WWE Shop at the locker room.

You can also create a character. I've always disliked the "Create-A-Superstar" modes on the wrestling games because they don't give you enough freedom with it. The fact that all the predecessors let me down in this department, kept me away from trying out this feature on WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2006. I just assume it's pretty much the same, because as the series went to "WWE: Here Comes the Pain" to "WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw", the "Create-A-Superstar" feature remained pretty much the same. My little brother and my friend, however, tried it out and thought it was better.

The controls are prettty much the same as in the other games. There is a new feature though, where you have to regain your stamina. You can also steal your opponent's taunt this time around. You can only have one special filled up, but if you don't save your special, then it hurts three times more, giving you a better advantage in the match.

The story mode (or season mode as it is called in the game) is pretty interesting. There's the divas, a bunch of different story lines, the championship belts change and stay when you start a new season mode. This game has the best story mode since No Mercy for the Nintendo 64! That is statement that shouldn't be taken lightly.

The graphics aren't something to die about. They are pretty decent, however. An improvement from the last installment, obviously, but still not as great as they could be. I can't wait for WWE games on the next-gen systems! The character modules are pretty great and the fans have upgraded from cardboard cut-outs to almost (but not really) life-like! The soundtrack is something I'm not too happy about, however. The original WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw had a way better soundtrack.

The game doesn't take that long to complete. You could beat season mode in a few hours. There is a TON of replayability, though. There is infinite multiplayer entertainment, plus all the other storylines you could check out. There is also manager mode which you can do over and over again and not get bored with.

Buy this game. I have given games a higher score then I gave this one and say rent, but this game has so much replayability that you have to buy it to fully enjoy it's capabilities. A great wrestling game that all wrestling AND videogame fans shouldn't miss. Smackdown Vs. Raw 2006 is going to be one of the greatest games all year.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/13/06