Review by HaouYamata

"Maybe a more appropriate title would have been "Tales of Greatness," Abyss sounds negative."

Okay, first review ever, so I hope I'm doing this right. I'm doing a review on Tales of the Abyss (no duh). So, let's get right to it.

Story: As story is the most important part of an RPG, this is a large factor in my overall score. Now, there have been some of the major review people like X-Play, and Game Informer that claim that the story is too cliche. And to a certain extent, I agree with them. However, I write fan fiction (hate me if you must, but I do), and I know somethings. Cliche can be done just so long as it is done well. Tales of the Abyss manages to do cliche well. Another thing about the story, without doing side quests, this game took me about 40 hours to beat. After about the 10 hour mark, the story loses it cliche and begins to move more into a character development stage. You see each character's true personalities become evident, and you see some change completely throughout the last 3/4 of the story. Overall, if you cant stand cliches, just give the game about 10 or so hours, then you wont be disappointed. 10/10

Game play: Next largest thing for an RPG, specifically a real time RPG is the game play. The core of the game play though comes in during the battles. If you've played a Tales game before, then you should know the battle system. You press a button to unleash a special attack, hold a control pad button, then press the special attack button to use another special attack, and so on. However, this game also has the ability that you get later on called Free Run. Basically, this is what it does. You press and hold down a single button, and the games changes from a 2D battle, to a 3D battle. This opens up more possibilities than the 2D battle. Allowing you to run behind the enemy or to the side of them and attack. All in all, the battles are fun. 10/10

Soundtrack: Considering it's been a long time since I've played this game, I'm sorry, but I can't really give you a good score here. I know that the opening song is good, even though I prefer the Japanese version due to the fact that they kept the lyrics. But it is a lot like previous Tales game music. Sorry that I couldn't go into more detail though. ?/10

Graphics: The graphics are good, and for the most part the cut scenes are animated really well. They are drawn very well and they make it look like it was an anime before it was a game. The in-game graphics also look nice, and there is a wide variety of spells and skills that add to the battle graphics. There is one cut scene though, that drags down this score for me. It is a bunch of people fighting. That was one of the worse anime cut scenes I have ever seen in my life. It looked like that they just gave it to a bunch of little kids and said "Okay, draw us a lot of people killing each other," it was really that bad. 8/10

Overall: Overall, I think this is one of the best Tales games to come out in the US. The story has plenty of twists once you get past the first 10 hours, the battles are fun and sometimes challenging. The graphics are well done (except for the before mentioned cut scene). Overall, if you loved Symphonia, you'll love Abyss. I give this game a 10/10. I will also say whether or not you should: Cherish, Buy, Rent, Pass, or Burn a game. I would say buy the game, but after playing through it a few times, you'll have found everything, so there is no reason to cherish the game.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/05/08

Game Release: Tales of the Abyss (US, 10/10/06)