Review by Cymery

"A great RPG"

Tales of the Abyss came out in 2006. Up until that time I had never heard of the series. I searched around looking for trailers and screenshots but for one reason or another there were very few that were of interest to me. Still it was going to be an RPG so I was going buy it and hope for the best. After all there were really good voice actors lined up and the graphics looked pretty good as well. Who would have thought that it would become one of my favorite PS2 games.

The characters were easy to control and while this was great sometimes they moved too slowly to get from point A to point B. Fights were very fun and with all the different attacks you could learn and perform rarely got boring. There was only one issue I have with the gameplay and that is the illusive stealing. I never figured out how to steal. I looked on the message boards and walkthroughs but at the end never figured it out. Apparently I'm not the only one who had this issue either so perhaps an easier way to steal would have been better.

The sound is in a word awesome. From hymn like music to wind blowing in the environments the sound was very well done. The music was well planned and works great with each area. Soft sounding muffled music in snowy areas and windchimes playing in a desert area. The theme song works well with the game and is one of the best I've heard.

Storyline: 10/10
The game's story is great. It starts with a spoiled 17 year old name Luke fon Fabre. He lives in a mansion and is a part of the towns nobility. He is stuck in the mansion for his own good after being kidnapped as a child and lost his memory due to the trauma he supposedly suffered. One day while he was training with his teacher a would be assassin breaks into the mansion with the intention of killing Luke's teacher. Instead Luke intervenes and causes a clash of magic and both Luke and the assassin is transported out of the mansion to a faraway place. From there the story begins. In all its long and brilliant.

The game is great and long. I mean really really long. In order to get all of the story which includes sidequests it will take at least 3 playthroughs. As you can get new game+ this isn't such a big deal but you have to choose what you want to bring over to the next game. The choices that you choose from are your weapons, attack skills, food recipes, and money for example. Tales of the Abyss is a great game that should be played by every RPG fan.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/19/09

Game Release: Tales of the Abyss (US, 10/10/06)