Review by BiohazardX3

"If you like Real Robots at all... Play this."

I'm sure all of you here like mecha anime, at least a little... I can also be pretty sure that you've come in contact with more Real Robot type anime (I.E. Gundam, Full Metal Panic, Patlabor, Macross, etc.) than super robots (Mazinger, G Gundam, Getter Robo, Gaogaigar, etc.). Another Century's Episode 2 can be compared to Zone of the Enders, just with a multitude of Real Robot serieses involved (Gundam 0083, Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz, Martian Succesor Nadesico, Char's Counterattack, Super Dimensional Fortress: Macross, Brain Powerd, SPT Blue Comet Layzner, Aura Battler Dunbine, Wings of Rean, Heavy Metal L-Gaim and Metal Armor Dragonar.) With a ridiculous attention to detail, few robots play similarly and have essentially everything their anime, movie, or OVA versions have; this includes some weapons that may have been used only once in the series. Onto the main review...

Graphics: 8

The backgrounds leave a whole lot to be desired, however every single mecha is beautifully recreated, animated smoothly, and go down to the smallest little detail, like shoulder vulcans opening or a Valkyrie's head guns turning to fire. Size differences remain intact, often putting an interesting spin on things... The titular Layzner mecha looks like a bug when compared to the Heavy Metals from L-Gaim while the Dragonars stand face-to-face with the various Mobile Suits. Pilot cut-ins are cel-shaded and look great for some, but slightly strange for some others; during combination attacks, the pilots are shown in their original art form briefly before unleashing hell on whatever hapless grunt you pressed L2 while targeting. The lasers, bullets, and various explosions all look nice, and every weapon is shown working just as it's seen in the anime...

Sounds: 10

The sounds are just like they're heard in their respective anime, some music had to be remixed or have the quality increased, since we just so happen to live 20 to 30 years in the future... Every single character featured has their respective voice actor returning for their role, though some voices have changed over a span of 10 to 20 years they're still very easy to recognize.

Story: N/A
Bryston Well, the Devil Gundam, GP-02, Orphan, and the Zentraedi. Most the originality here comes from mish-mashing this all together, however it seems to work pretty well, I wouldn't know since I don't understand Japanese... I wish I would know the story of the two original robots, they're kinda ugly but fun to use.

Gameplay: Why the hell not 11?

Very fast-paced, balanced, and definitely not lacking in choices... 105 total mecha to play as, 70 of which are available during the original story mode (5 Aestivalises, 3 Aestivalis Customs and 4 Valkyries are basically the same mecha with different pilots and coloring, however this is how it's supposed to be so...) Nearly each and every mecha is a different experience to use, Yuu Brain and Hime Brain from Brain Powerd may be very similar robots, but play very differently, Nelly Brain, Yuu Brain's upgrade, feels like it's in a completely different league. The Nu Gundam, Wing Zero, Gai's Aestivalis and the Aura Battler Bilbine feel completely different, the only real similarities in controls. It controls easily enough for a foreigner to grasp without understanding the tutorial stage, so that should say enough about it; various transformations (Macross's Skull Squadron, specifically) work smoothly into the game and take only a moment to get used to.

Over all, this is one kickass game... Plowing through countless grunts in a simple action game with more choices than virtually any game out today has to be one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had... If you can play this.. Do it.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/18/07