Review by Eric9797

"The Ultimate Marvel Experience....so far"

Marvel Ultimate Alliance is my all time favorite game ever. The PlayStation 2 version is so awesome. The XBOX 360 version is also good. Anyways, this game has a lot of awesome things in it.

Story: Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D are attacked by Dr. Doom. After Fury talks to Doom, he calls for help. Interestingly enough, Captain America, Spider-Man, Thor, and Wolverine are the first to arrive at Nick Fury's ship to help him out. As the game progresses, you can play as the Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Elektra, Deadpool, Iron Man, Storm, the Black Panther, Ghost Rider, Dr. Strange, Ms. Marvel, Iceman, Blade and other heroes that you play as. Once this team of heroes are formed, these heroes are out there fighting a group of villains called the Masters of Evil which happens to be formed by Dr. Doom.

Gameplay: The gameplay is so fun. For one, this game plays exactly like X-Men Legends I & II. However, you are able to hold down circle and perform a knockback attack after you finish holding down circle. The powers are awesome. Each power defines who the characters are so that you do not get confused about who you and/or your friend are playing as. Also, you have 4 costumes to give a character to wear. In single player, you can play as any team/combination of 4 heroes that you want. The multiplayer experience is very cool. You and a friend can switch to any other hero you want. Although, if you play with three other friends, you are stuck as the hero you first play as until you change your team or if you and a friend switch controls so that you all can alternate characters. Every character is good to play as. My favorite characters to play as are Mr. Fantastic, Iron Man, Silver Surfer, Invisible Woman, Captain America, Spider-Man, Human Torch, The Thing, Wolverine, Dr. Strange, and Daredevil. The only heroes that I'm not too familiar with or play as the least is Ms. Marvel, Elektra, Nick Fury and Blade. Although, Blade, Black Panther, Luke Cage, Deadpool and Spider-Woman are characters that I am moderately good as and I rarely play as them at all or most of the time. Overall, each character is cool. You are able to use a boost or put another power in place of a boost. An example of a hero that I use three powers with is the Human Torch. Whenever you press L2, you can make your group assist, act normal or aggressive or defensive which is interesting. An awesome thing about upgrading powers is that you can subtract points from one ability and put it on another ability that you want. So basically, you do not have to be stuck maxing out a power that you did not want maxed out. Also, there are cineractives that one must perform in order to defeat a boss or prevent a bomb from exploding. The usual pop up, stun, and trip combos are still there for the player to use other than all of your powers. The boss fights are fun. You go at them with your powers and regular attacks until they are defeated. The final battle is one of the most fun battles that you will ever fight. Certain enemies have to be defeated by using, pop up, trip, stun and/or knockback moves. Heck, you can even take quizzes to level up all the characters and learn things about the Marvel Universe as you level up your characters. All in all, the gameplay is excellent.

Graphics: The graphics are very good for the PS2. For one, the characters look realistic. The graphics are way better than they were in X-Men Legends I. The cutscenes are perfect. Each character in the cut scene are very realistic. The characters look so real that you can easily picture them in your head. The graphics also aid in showing each character use their power and you also see how enemies attack you with their powers. The environments/locations of every level look fantatstic. You get to see the helicarier, Stark Tower, the Sanctum Sanctorum, Mephisto's realm, Attilan, and other locations in the Marvel universe.

Sound: The voices actors of each character were done very well. Each character sounds a lot like the way they were portrayed in the comics. The effects sound great. As you hear a power being used by you or another character, you make yourself feel like you are a part of the game. The music is cool but can sometimes play too loud at certain parts of the game but oh well.

Replay value: This game has a very high/excellent replay value. You can play this game over and over again and not feel bored unless you totally hate this game or the Marvel universe. The game has a lot of good unlockables and you can experience interactions between a certain heroes with other characters that you encounter as the game progresses. Plus, you can equip different equipment or the same equipment from the previous game you played to your respected characters. Also, you can max out any power that you want to use.

Buy or not buy: I would definitely buy this game if I were you. Although, I would suggest that you play X-Men Legends I and/or X-Men Legends II so that you can be able to be more easily familiar with the controls. Also, read the instruction manuals of X-Men Legends II and Marvel Ultimate Alliance so that you can know how to play the game. If you are a Marvel comic fan like me, then buy this game ASAP. As far as the newbies go, find a friend who has this game and play the entire game once or twice and then decide if you want to get it yourself. Honestly, this game is totally worth buying.

Overall, I give this game a 10/10 because this game provided me with a lot of fun things about the Marvel comics and that I got to see and experience the Marvel universe in action. Also, the game has so many good unlockables and character interactions with other characters seen in the game.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/01/09

Game Release: Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (US, 10/24/06)