Review by Pokemon_Nerd13

"Eragon may have magic, but he can't make this screw up disappear."

The story of Eragon is much different than most books end up. The book was great, I love it. Then, the movie came, and it was hated. The story was changed drastically and the acting had a lot to improve on. The thing is if you've read the book, you simply aren't happy with the movie. Finally, we have the game. Now, this is the type of game I like to play, but the storyline was changed a bit more and the graphics are definitely not the greatest. However, to me, the gameplay makes up for a lot of it and makes this game worth playing.

Gameplay - 6.5/10

If you have ever played games like The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, the gameplay is much similar. The combat is not turn based, so that may turn some off, but the combat system is still great. Aside from that, there is little else to talk about gameplay-wise. You can ride Saphira in a couple of levels, but it would have been a much better thing if Saphira was playable, since you overall do very little with her.

Storyline - 3.5/10

Having read the book, I cannot give the storyline a good rating. Many things were cut out and changed and some parts were altogether skipped. Some things you really need to read the book to understand because out of nowhere it comes in and you have no idea how. It still is gripping, but overall is terrible.

Graphics - 7/10

The graphics are pretty good in this game, but not the greatest. The characters look much like they did in the movies, but the cutscenes are what leave the most to be desired. Also, Saphira's design is not the best they could have done looking at the other characters.

Sound/Music - 6.5/10

This is one of the better parts of the game. The music is very low and dark, which disappointed me because I was hoping for more orchestrated music like those in The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. The sound effects are much different than most games on the menus. Finally, what makes this one of the best parts of the game is the realistic sounds made in-game. That's not much, but it is actually a big thing for this game. Sadly, that's about as impressive as it gets.

Controls - 8.5/10

The controls are probably the best part of the game. They are different than many other games, however, so that's a minus if you are used to regular controls. However, they are overall simplistic and not difficult to remember, which is why they are the best part of the game.

Extras - 4/10

This game has little extras in it. Well, pretty much the only things you can consider extras are the hidden eggs in each level. These are good if you want a bit of a challenge, having to battle your way through this place and find an egg that is often hidden pretty well. Still, there is very little reward for doing this, so I didn't really pay attention to the eggs at all.

Play Time/Replay Value - 5.5/10

Well, this can be one of those games you beat in a day if you're good and focus completely on it. However, most of those that play this probably will get at least a couple of days out of it, which is okay. Then, the replay value is a good part of this game. Having an endless duel-like thing at the end can have you playing for weeks, but aside from that and going back to find all of the eggs, there is not much to play this again for.

Final Verdict - 6/10

I know I may have sounded a little harsh on this game, but trust me, I like it. However, most of us that will be playing this game will have read the book and seen the movie. If you have done that, you simply cannot say that you truly love this game and think it is awesome. Still, I will say that it is fun to play. If you like combat games that are not turn based, you can have fun playing this and I think it might be worthwhile for you to get it. However, you really want to research more into this game before you make that purchase because I am being a bit lenient on the 6 rating. Most Eragon fans would rate this lower, trust me.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 10/12/09

Game Release: Eragon (US, 11/14/06)