Review by Flama99

"Spyro 6! Thats Right! He's Back."

The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning

I got this game for Christmas mainly because I'm a real Spyro fan and also because the trailer and style of gameplay piqued my curiosity. From the first Spryo game, the rest which came after always had the same system and graphics, but always changing a little bit with each game. From Spyro: A Hero's Tail to A New Beginning, it was a major leap in all departments compared to the previous games.

Absolutely great! The scenery of each level was always diverse and unique, beginning from Spyro's home, a typical peaceful swampland, to an epic dimension of rubble and monsters floating around. The graphics were definitely enhanced and detailed.

To anyone who has played the previous Spyro games this one may come as a pleasant surprise. The combat is now much more complicated then the previous games in which you simple had to charge the little guys and flame the big guys. Now Spyro can perform melee combat on ground and air with customizable combos! Spyro now does not have unlimited breath energy but a green meter in the corner of the screen which indicates the amount of energy you have left for your breaths and secondary breaths. The breaths are also upgradeable. With each level a breath grows larger and more powerful in several ways. This certainly added to a sort of basic RPG. Also the “Earth” breath was introduced. Gems have now been reduced in variety (e.g. red, green, blue, yellow, purple) and they now don't serve any other purpose except for healing/regenerating and leveling.
Flying levels have also been introduced but there are only a couple of instances which you actually do.

Music/Sound: 8/10

Dramatic and audible. The sound effects for breaths and enemies are also pretty good. The voice acting was also really good (surprisingly) and the music matched the scenery. Sparx also finally got his own voice from David Spade and he's hilarious. The only thing I have against the music is that at many places the music stops and all that can be heard is leaves rustling or the windy breeze. Most people won't notice but I prefer constant music in my ears but that's just me.

I think a story is VERY important. The game was rather short but the story still didn't feel short. Unlike the other games we find out about Spyro's upbringing and how he learns he is a purple dragon, one which only born every few generations. He soon learns to unlock is powers by learning from the dragon elders whom he saves. Soon he is ready to save the land from the evil black dragon, Cynder and her minions.

Replayability: 7/10

This game took me about 6 hours to finish watching all the cut scenes and is probably the same for many other people and would only last about 10 hours max. Because of this you might want to play it again. The good thing is that when you start again you can keep your breath powers and their levels so that you can fully level them all.

Perhaps rent if you're not a Spyro fan, and buy if you're really into the series so overall I give this a 9/10.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/22/07