Review by Wolverine517

"Now a review for European Assu- I mean, Vanguard!"

The last WWII game I played was Medal of Honor: European Assualt. That game was a decent shooter with interesting missions, passable gameplay, and decent graphics. So, when I picked up Vanguard, I expected an improvement. I mean, let the PS2 go out with a bang, right?

I guess not. I could describe Vanguard in a few words...interesting missions, passable gameplay, and decent graphics. Overall, this version isn't much different from the last MoH game released. I kept thinking to myself, "Wow, this is just like European Assualt, except with a sprint option!".

However, this game isn't bad, it is actually quite enjoyable. Although there isn't really a story, there is a human element you won't find in other shooters, such as Gears of War, and Star Wars: Battlefront. You really fell like you are in the middle of a fire fight, thanks to some nice debris physics.

The game handles just like previous installments. R1 is shoot, circle change weapon, etc. A very helpful new feature is a run option, because I can't count the number of times I've yelled, "I totally would have freakin' survived if I could just freakin' run!" Your normal duck-and-cover shooting is in place, but if you could bored you can charge ahead, but your officers will begin to yell at you.

A.I is mediocre. They do the exact same thing every run through the game. Which makes dying so much more frustrating. you know how to beat them, you know where they'll be, but my feakin' fellow soldier keeps getting in the way! Which is another problem. Your soldiers keep getting in your line of fire! It can get incredibly frustrating in the middle of a fire fight.

Aside from those things, the game is a normal, WWII shooter. Although there are some gun range issues, and hit-detection problems, no glaring fault is present. It justs plays too much like other games. Instead of making a new, engaging experience, it creates a very simialr experience to any gamer. Maybe the next game will be new and original ,which is what this series needs!

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 04/03/07