Review by Anubisdark

"Great games, awful execution as its best."

Graphics:
As you play from '94 to '98 the visual representation changes to a smooth background and effects, explosions and fire what dominates the presentation. Backgrounds are never dull and always alive with people moving around. Characters sprites changes also but for the best.
5/5

Sound:
The music changes from '94 to '98, same for each character but the way the soundtrack sounds, changes. All soundtracks stick to the fighting spirit and can well be said that represents each characters fighting styles. The real downside is the alternate music. The Fatal Fury Archives Vol. 2 offers a chance to play with alternate music and so does the collections before it. The classic music is beautiful but downgrading to this lazy performance is no excuse when the disc is LOADED with alternate music and the fact that the japanese version you can play with it.
1/5

Controls:
'97 controls well but... The fact of the matter is that a simple quater-circle can't be done and it is unresponsive. 98 and 96 suffers from this. If at least 98 wouldn't be plague with this(the game with most characters and better music) it may wouldn't be so bad. Paying money for two defective games is stealing your pocket. Other games the controls are smooth and responsive.
2/5

Gameplay:
The good: 5 KoF games, art galleries and alternate music.
The bad:Can't play with alternate music, 2 unplayable games, no videos.
I have a beef with 97. While fighting there is no music, why the developers stoop this low in 1997? I don't know so for me I will not play 98 nor 96 because of awful controls and 97 because of almost no music so I'm stuck with 94 and 95. So I have 2 playable games.
1/5

Overall score:
2/5
GameFAQs score:
4/10
Overall Comment:
If this is your first collection to buy avoid it at all cost and start with Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol. 1 or 2, World Heroes Anthology or Art of Fighting collection. This is not worth $20 compare to others collection. If you are still undecided, take my word, buy the collections I mentioned earlier first, discover the controls, alternate music and gameplay and read this review again. From the score is clearly visible that the graphics part is really what is stands out from other stuff.

Like the GameFAQs review score states: "Poor - game is unremarkable and flawed."

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 11/17/08

Game Release: The King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga (US, 10/28/08)