Review by drunkyb

"SEGA ruins a great franchise oppertunity."

It took some time, but SEGA has finally answered NINTENDO's tennis games with a superstar version of their own. How does this game stack up against the competition? Read on to find out.

Sega played a safe card with this game : bringing in the very best of what the company has to offer - characters. This game is a fan boy's dream. Sonic (of course) to NiGHTS, to Jet Grind Radio favorites and everyone in between. This is truly a great collection of characters to play as. But what are characters if controlling them is terrible? That isn't a giant issue here, however the basic gameplay is.

If you can press X, and move an analog, you might beat this game in a matter of hours. This is simplicity in it's purest form. To play you hit the ball, you move around, and you do (some insanely cool) super moves. That is it. Sega took tennis to it's most simplistic set up, and left it at that. If you are a true tennis fan, or are a fan of the previous tennis games Sega has made, be prepared for some disappointment. I am not kidding when I say this is one of the easiest tennis games ever made. You could use a NES controller and you'd be set to play. Three buttons out of eight please? Done.

What about graphics? Well, graphics are much like the controls : simple. This looks like a first generation PS2 game. The characters are smooth and mediocre, and the maps themselves are very colorful, but lack the depth that has been proven possible for graphics on this system. This looks like a "kiddie game", and from the above paragraphs you might notice that IT IS.

And finally, the sound is dead on. The songs from the classic titles are perfect, the sound effects and the voices are great. The sound in this game is the best part of the experience.

So, to break this down simply :

Graphics - 5/10 - Sega please stop messing around when it comes to the looks of your greatest characters possible. You looked like junk on SONIC AND MARIO @ THE OLYMPICS, I really hoped you had learned your lesson by now - PRODUCTION VALUE.

Controls - 1/10 - I really did not expect some perfection but I expected more than a three button mash up.

Sound - 7/10 - Simple, fun, SEGA.

Gameplay - 6/10 - Once again, simple - fun - SEGA.

Closing Comments : Sega ruined a possibly great franchise oppertunity with their new tennis game. That's okay though. For a brainless romp, or a good time with friends, Sega Superstars Tennis delivers. For something more, or a challenge, look to Nintendo to show us over the top - superstar - value.

OVERALL - 6/10.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 04/07/08

Game Release: Sega Superstars Tennis (US, 03/18/08)