Review by hazuki_dojo_98

"A Very Good Game"

Just to start things off, this is a really good game. I was just playing it. Sega Superstars Tennis is a fairly recent game that is playing on a bit of theme as of late, which is to somewhat revive perhaps otherwise lost franchises. Sega as we all probably know is a very respected 3rd party distribution company to the various consoles (or systems) as they seem to be referred to more often. It was actually its own platform at one time and was seen to be at times more prominent than Nintendo. When Sony got in to the mix, it was the beginning of the end for that. Last time I checked, they were still doing quite alright in the arcades. I believe that AM3 (Amusement Machine 3) was mostly responsible for this title. I also believe that this game was released on other platforms like 360 as well as the Wii, which makes for a bit of a historical piece when you think about it. I haven't played the Wii yet (boo-hiss). I guess I'm one of the nerdy hardcore guys that can't get in to anything fresh.

The sound in Sega Superstars Tennis is pretty good. After looking through the credits, I found that Richard Jacques did some of the music (or at least did some work in his studio), which is cool because he's one of my favourite artists of all time. There's also music from the Sonic series, Jet Set Radio (which is already sort of mentioned), as well as the various other games' music mostly from the Dreamcast it would seem. The actual game's sound effects are not bad in that they don't stand out and hinder the game in any way. This is a visually appealing game. Especially for the PlayStation 2, I think. It probably would've looked better on PS3 or something, but I'm okay with this for now. You'll probably get to see some of the Jet Set Radio cast despite not being cell shaded. All things considered, I would say that this is a pretty good game presentation wise. Sega Superstars Tennis would've looked better for the Xbox, but-hey I already sort of said that already.

Now for the gameplay. I would say that the gameplay starts out fairly simple (which at times may seem boring), but it definitely picks up especially in tournament mode. I'm not sure if there is much more to say about that. The controls are simple, but seem a little bit unresponsive at times. This is where having a partner in the doubles match come in handy. Altogether, this is a very entertaining game in my book. Part of this may be because I literally grew up on Sega as a kid. The music is probably the most nostalgic device in this game. I played this with my almost 17-year-old sister a few weeks ago and she seemed to like it. It sort of reminds us of the good old days. For some people that may've been in the form of NiGHTS for Sega Saturn. There is definitely some replay value here. Mostly due to the gameplay.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 07/21/10

Game Release: Sega Superstars Tennis (US, 03/18/08)