Review by Playtapus

"REAL friends?! **** that! I got my PERSONA friends!"

When games now-a-days cost a fortune and are not half as great as you expect them to be, one would tend to be skeptical towards buying a new one. At least that's the problem with me. Not even Billy Mays and his brilliant advertising skills could convince me of buying a game unless it's on the bargain bin. But Persona 4...this game...I just had a feeling it would be good. I was wrong, this game is not good. This game is AMAZING! It is worth every penny and more! This could very well be the last RPG for the PS2 and a testament of why this is the best console on the market. I don't wanna write any more useless crap so I'll get to the nitty-gritty.

Story: 9\10

The basic outline of the story is this: a rumor is going around school that by looking at a TV screen at 12:00 AM on a rainy nights, the face of your soulmate will be revealed. Meanwhile a series of bizarre murders begins where the cause of death is unknown but is somehow connected to this "Midnight Channel". As the murders continue, the protagonist and his companions discover a door to another world in search for the culprit. The key to this door is the power within their souls; their other selves--their Personas...I took that directly from the booklet because I couldn't have put it better myself. Sounds interesting right? It is, but what really makes this game's story stand out is the character development. The idea of facing your true self is a recurring concept within the game and boy let me tell you it is very well done. I can't really delve into it without spoiling it but let me just say that each character adds a HUGE amount of depth into this game.

Graphics: 9\10

To me, graphics are not really a big factor to me when it comes to video games. Although I gotta say those bastards at Square-Enix have spoiled me. This game has very nice graphics, very nice. The cut-scenes are animated, that might turn some people off but it really fits the game.

This a turn-based RPG mixed with...I dunno what's it called, life simulator? The game takes place one day at a time, you're high school student and somehow you gotta manage to balance your daily activities while trying to solve the murder mystery by defeating "shadows". Sounds...not so epic, but believe me it is much more than that. The flow of the game is like this: Go to school at day, choose to hang out with friends or solve the latest mystery in the afternoon and then at night do part-time work or study. You might be asking yourself, "What's so important about hanging out with friends, working and studying?" Well by doing so you can establish what's called a Social Link. You need this in order to obtain better Personas and become stronger. Other than armor and weapons, you need Personas for various abilities and stat growth. Think of Personas as Pokemon based on different religions. That sounds almost better, no? Well it is, dang it!

Sound: 10\10

The best thing in the game. The music is catchy and fitting with every escenario. The voice acting is top-notch. Some people complain because it doesn't have the original japanese voice-over, that's their problem. I happen to think the voices are great and if you don't like it, you can always mute it.

Conclusion: 9\10

Mr. T says: "I pity the foo' who don't buy this game!"

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/12/09

Game Release: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (US, 12/08/08)