Review by Ceirrine

"A PS2 game that competes with next-gen console games. Nice."

Now, we got these games with "WOW!" graphics. But does graphics determine the greatness of a game? Oh, I think not. I'm not new to RPGs. I've been playing them back around when I was in the second grade, but heck. By the time I got my hands on Persona 4, my love for RPGs got up to a new level. Okay, let's get into business.

Story

Well, the Persona series have our favorite "Silent" protagonists. This one is no exception. Main Character-kun has to move to Inaba because his parents are working overseas, his mother asked her brother to take care of him for a year. Later on, there is a rumor about the "Midnight Channel", it's about seeing your soulmate if you watch it in the middle of the night, plus, if it is raining. Soon after, a mysterious case popped up. Somehow, the case is related to the Midnight Channel. As the story goes on, he got a bizarre power called a "Persona", A person's inner self. From then on, Main Character-kun along with other "Persona" users decided to solve the case themselves.

The whole thing about confronting oneself and accepting what you are isn't particularly new to the world of RPG. Even the part of getting a new power because of realizing who you really are is quite old, but, the way the story is progressing is rather unique. Although sometimes, a bit predictable.

Rating: 9/10

Gameplay

I'm sure a lot of people who played Persona 3 who looked forward to this game, notice huge improvements about the gameplay. Who wouldn't notice it? In battles, there's this follow-up attack, helping out allies if down, and other stuff. I'm pretty sure many didn't like the trial and error thing about discovering the enemy's strengths and weaknesses. Oh, there's this direct commands too, you get to control your teammates because the AI isn't very good at times. Glad that they put that in too. The social link system is still there. Eh, the social links ranks from boring to totally awesome. And for a girl social link, it's nice to have an option about remaining friends or whatnot. The gameplay had its ups and down, nevertheless, it is still awesome.

Rating: 9/10

Sound

This is probably one of the strengths of the game. It attracts people to listen to it from time to time. To be honest, I pause a lot of times to listen to it. Yes. As for the voice acting, I've played both Japanese and English versions of the game. I must say, this game has a lot of famous of voice actors/actresses. Ah, but if comparing the voice acting quality, I have to vote for the Japanese VAs. I'm not saying that the English VAs didn't do a good job on the voices, they DID. It's just that the Japanese voice actors/actresses had more impact on me.

Rating: 10/10

Graphics

It's amazing for a PS2 game, I must say. The only thing I complain about it is, when the camera moves, it is somewhat...blurring. Whatever that is called, I get a headache about it. I know someone that complains about it too, we both got sensitive eyes. The way the characters are modeled are also great. It's also nice that the characters move smoothly. Not like robots.

Rating: 8.5/10

OVERALL: 9/10

A totally awesome game. If you ever see a copy of this game, go and grab it. It might not have pawnsome graphics such as next-gen games, but it's having fun that really matters.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/20/09

Game Release: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (US, 12/08/08)