Review by FalseGodsSlayer

""I AM THOU AND THOU ART I""

“I AM THOU, AND THOU ART I”

“Embrace yourself”, means to accept oneself as he or she is genuinely be, and not pretending to be an individual that totally different from oneself. What one fear the most lies within oneself and hidden deep within one's personality as “shadows”; Sometimes it is difficult to admit what one truly is, but that doesn't mean one can just deny the existence of that part within him or her, because like it or not, that part is still oneself. These messages are strongly implied in the recently released Playstation 2 game, Persona 4. This highly anticipated game, developed by Atlus, starts with the main character, that just recently transferred to a little suburban town of Inaba, stumbled into serial bizzare murder cases, and unnatural urban legend, known as “The Midnight Channel”, that happened in that peaceful town. Curiosity rises, and through the newfound strength, the main character set on the journey to reveal the truth behind all of the murders and things that lie beyond the “other” world.

As one of the character of this game, Igor, said that “Persona” is merely a facade, another face that one used to connect to other people and beings; But the truth is that through those social connections, one can truly expand his or her hidden potentials to the maximum. So does this game, which strongly emphasized in the main character's social relations rather than strengthening through force. With the complex and intense story, gamers are obliged to keep the main character in shape, both in the field of academic, social lives, and strength. With an incredible gameplay and captivating, yet touching social links' stories, one could find it difficult to part with this game, even if one managed to finish the whole game. Apart from that, with new A.I. and battle system, as well as the new breed of enemies and bosses, this game could be challenging to any veteran gamers and Shin Megaten fans. And also, supported by great music, composed by the legendary Shoji Meguro, it is not exaggerated to say that this game is the one of the best games in the year of 2008.

In the conclusion, with near-perfection gameplay and mechanics, complex and touching story, this game is worthy to be given a place for one the best game ever. Sometimes, people could forgot who they truly are because they fear to admit one side of themselves that they keep hidden. But, this game, it reminded us to be what we are, to “embrace” ourselves as what we are. Was there any video games that gave great morals, like this game? Igor, one of the character in this game, once said that the main character's power was similiar to the number zero; It was empty, but held the infinite possibilities. Same goes to this amazing game, it's just an ordinary role playing game like other RPGs as well, but it gives a great impact to people hearts and feelings. Doubtful, try it! It Does impact your lives.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/03/09

Game Release: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (US, 12/08/08)