Review by iliveforffandwo

"A disappointment from the rest of the series"

I'll start off by saying I was a big fan of Persona 3. I thought it was a nice change of pace from the rest of the series and had a lot of good ideas. Although Revelations Persona was the best game in the series(especially for it's time), Persona 3 still changed up the classic RPG formula and was a great dungeon crawler for the hardcore gamer. With that said Persona 4 has done little to move the series forward and instead just takes what Persona 3 did and does it over again.

The first big problem I had with the game was the difficulty felt off. The beginning bosses were very hard yet I was able to defeat the regular enemies without even trying. I mean honestly the hardest bosses in the game where in the beginning then it felt like easy sailing from there on out. Though the whole game feels like a chore, the social links were cool the first time they were done but this time I found the less interesting and also less important. I mean honestly do I want to spend the time and talk to all these people when I can just breeze through the dungeon.

Of course some people will do all the social links just for the sake of completing everything but unlike in Final Fantasy or Digital Devil Saga the Persona games tend to not have an ultimate boss that will be challenging enough to make you get the ultimate Personas. On top of this the combat wasn't any better then in 3 aside from controlling your other characters it all felt the same.

Some of the other stuff that was suppose to be better in this game like multiple dungeons as oppose to just one big one wasn't really any better at all. The dungeons pretty much played out like they did in 3 and added little to the experience of the game. There was no real world exploration like in Persona 2 or Revelations Persona. The story also wasn't anything that good the whole mystery solving aspect of the story was confusing and absurd it was hard to find it interesting. On top of that the true ending felt completely tacked on.

This game isn't bad but it's not worth investing all the time it takes to beat it. Persona 3 was better to me in just about every aspect, even controlling your characters didn't feel much better to me because it would just make battles take longer and it was easier to put them on auto. In the end this game is really boring. You will be fighting the same boring enemies over and over and you will have to watch out the social links and stories which almost feels like a chore. Your better off playing Persona 3 and if you have already played that then you will probably not have the patience to sit through this.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 04/12/10

Game Release: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (US, 12/08/08)