Review by S0ra101

"Re:Chain of Memories----WAY Better than the GBA"

Ahh Kingdom Hearts. This series, in my mind is basically flawless all around. Great storyline, graphics, battle system, the works. The fact Disney's apart of it doesn't phase this series. When they released Kindom Hears: Chain of memories for the GBA back in 04, I was excited for KH to be on the handheld. But boy was I disappointed wth that. But I'm not here reviewing that game. I'm gonna talk about RE: Chain of memories. Although we Americans unfortunately didn't get KH II Final Mix, We did get Chain of Memories for the PS2, and I immediately had to play it. And I was pleased with the results. So without further adoo, the actual review.

Story- 9/10

Re: Chain of Memories has the exact same story as the first, no duh, its a remake. However, it keeps the charm the original had. Sora, Donald and Goofy are traveling through Castle Oblivion to find Riku and the King. Having played the first version, I knew this. Why I took a point off is the voice acting. While it was no surprise Sora's voice would be his older KH2 self due to when it was released, the lack of voice acting in the different worlds, and the annoying voice of Larxene drove e crazy. Sometimes I had to mute just to turn off her voice. But other than that, a great story, well made for this remake.

Gameplay- 9/10

Re: Chain of memories IMPROOVES on the gameplay by far the most out of anything from the original. The 3D aspect helps make the battles way easier. I remember playing the GBA and having such a crapload of a time getting around the Defenders(big shield dudes) Big Belly Heartless, and the bosses. The Dodge Roll in the original was a pain. But its so easy to do in this remake. Some boss battles I suffered on in the first like the Dragon, and Riku, were several times easier in this remake. Now they weren't a piece o cake, but they weren't complete hell like in the GBA either. The 3D definitely helps this game's gameplay become more fun. The card aspect still is confusing, but its easy to get used to it, especially if you've played the first version. And the addition of the Action Commands from KH2 was a nice touch, made the game not so much an exact copy

Soundtrack- 10/10

Hey, they kept the great soundtrack from KH1 and the first CoM, so its just as good here in its console system glory. I felt like I was playing the first Kingdom Hearts at times. a 10/10 here.

Graphics- 10/10

Now I'm not a player who really cares about graphics for games that much, since some games with great graphics, just suck! But Re: Chain of Memories retains the colorful, and beautiful graphics from Kingdom Hearts 1, retaining the charm of what we came to love with the series. The animations in the characters and the voice acting make the game come to life as apposed to the GBA version.

Difficulty- 7/10

I took 3 points off this score for Re:COM because the 3D makes this game way easier than the GBA. But that doesn't make it a walk in the park. If you don't have a good formatted deck or a decent amount of HP, you'll be screwed later on. This is still a game you can't rush through.

Overall- I give this game a 9/10

This game is what should have been released back in '04. To be honest, I don't even know WHY they made it for the GBA in the first place. Budgets I guess. Cause in the GBA they had cinema scenes in good quality DS technology animations. Why they didn't keep that, I don't know, the GBA must not have been able to handle it. But why they didn't release CoM on the PS2 to begin with is still a mystery. Re: Chain of Memories Really shows that this game belonged in the 3D environment of the console system. It's more fun to play in this quality than it ever was on the GBA. If you haven't played Chain of Memories period, don't bother with the GBA version, unless you wanna waste $30 dollars. Get Re: Chain of memories. I got mine for the same price I got the GBA- $30. So save an extra 30 and get the better quality version. You won't regret it ;)

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/04/08

Game Release: Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories (US, 12/02/08)