Review by AngelbladeVII

"The Sequel to Kingdom Hearts We All Waited For"

This is what those of us who were let down with Chain of Memories for the GBA were waiting for. Re: Chain of Memories delivers the classic Kingdom Hearts feeling without taking away the uniqueness that the original Chain of Memories offered.

Obviously it looks better than Chain of Memories (seeing as it was for the GBA). The developers, however, didn't take away from the visual feeling you got when playing Kingdom Hearts, but instead enhanced it using today's graphical technology to a quality equal to that of Kingdom Hearts II. The cut-scenes are gorgeous (they'd have to be as there aren't many of them), and are on par with those you were impressed with with Kingdom Hearts II.

The music is a lot better too. In Chain of Memories, it felt weird hearing the Hollow Bastion theme on the GBA, but for the PS2 it felt just right. All the music from Chain of Memories has been revamped so that it sounds a whole lot better than before, but the original scheme is the same.

Combat: 10/10
I have to give this a 10, because the combat system for Re: Chain of Memories (centering around cards) has been drastically improved. You can now move around the stage you're on instead of just left and right across the screen and it feels more natural that way. The main feeling from Chain of Memories is retained with the added bonus of several new cards. They also added difficulty levels exactly like Kingdom Hearts II's style (Basic, Standard, and Proud modes). The only downside to combat (like in Chain of Memories) is that it gets a little repetitive as time goes on.

The only reason it isn't 10 is because the voice acting and the best cut-scenes are only saved for between floors and special scenes with Organization members. Other than that, the story is solid and the positive thing about there only being cut-scenes between floors is that it makes you look forward to continuing to see the other Organization members in 3D (and they don't disappoint). The voice acting is pretty good and their voices are pretty much how you'd expect them to sound.

Definately an improvement from Chain of Memories, graphically, storywise, and gameplaywise. Re: Chain of Memories is what I wanted from the start and it was well worth the wait. Most fans (like me) were upset with the lack of voice acting, deflated graphics, and boring gameplay from the original Chain of Memories, but Re: Chain of Memories adds a new flavor and delivers what you wanted.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/05/09

Game Release: Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories (US, 12/02/08)