Review by KeyBlade999

"What happened? The game is nothing like the others?"

The game between Kingdom Hearts 1 and Kingdom Hearts 2 isn't as good as you'd think. The other two parts were good, even great. This really too good at all, but is good. Believe me, I'm a hardcore fan, too. The remake of Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories is pretty okay. This was written after Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, the fifth addition to the Kingdom Hearts series, was released in Japan for the PSP.

The gameplay isn't good. Yes, at first it is different, but by the end, I nearly broke the game. The battle system is very different, varying extremely from the usual battle system. The game is easy to get the hook of, but still, after playing three installments of the Kingdom Hearts series, it is difficult. The bosses get too hard near the end. Even on beginner, I had to be about level 70 just to get the upper hand on some bosses, not the final one. That took me straight to level 99. Seriously, what the heck happened?!? True, it was hard, but a fun hard.

Other than gameplay, the story is understandable if you have played Kingdom Hearts 1. This fills in the blanks between Kingdom Hearts 1 and Kingdom Hearts 2. It also fills in on what happened during the Organization XIII mission in Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days. Fairly easy to follow if you can finish battles correctly.

The graphics are the same as you usually see on the PS2 Kingdom Hearts games. The 3-D is good for the game, and the powerful attacks have great graphics. The Castle Oblivion has great detail in everything. You can see every nook and cranny in the video game if you zoom in enough. The sound is also nice for a PS2 game. Mostly, you have heard the sounds on the other Kingdom Hearts games. A surround sound system and you have a great game. However, the graphics and sound are little to be proud of in this game...

The game is just too tough. Yes, you will finish it, but it will take a long time. I didn't do any kind of sidequest (I don't think there is one) and it took me about 120 hours to win. Yes, a whopping 120 hours! You could replay it, but I recommend against it; the game was so hard the first time, I didn't even replay it until a week later for a quick break. Afterwards, I replayed it.

Well, if you do get it as a gift, try it and hope you like it. I was okay with it, but that's just my opinion. If you do plan to buy it, rent it for a week or so to see how tough it is and see if it agrees with you. If it does, I'm not going to stop you from keeping it, but still, it could be better. It is good, just not TOO good. Try getting and hope you like it.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 02/16/10

Game Release: Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories (US, 12/02/08)