Review by fluffYnuggZ420

"Silent Hill has changed ..."

I have just finished this game and my oh my, how Silent Hill has changed. I have played and beaten all the previous titles in the Silent Hill franchise excluding Silent Hill 3 (I rented it a few years ago and never got around to beating it.) Anyhow, let's jump right into my review for SH:SM.

First off - The smoothness of the game in general. Running from monsters in Harry's "Nightmares", no load screens when opening doors as in the previous ones (instead, Harry can crack and peak around the doors before entering, very nice addition!) - The controls just felt really "fluid" to me compared to the other installments where the movement felt choppy and sluggish. Also, the utilization of the R3 stick to control Harry's flashlight.

This game crept up my spine, folks. The monsters RUN! Yes, they're fast now! And yes, I enjoyed the monsters only being in Harry's "Nightmares", because even in normal mode, I was on edge throughout the game, I found myself taking my time looking around corners, investigating everything, and ESPECIALLY the little ghost girl who crosses your path a few different times in the game. I felt as if I was going to have a panic attack throughout the whole "experience."

No weapons?? No killing?? No Game Over?? I'm still not sure how I feel about this. I did miss it in SH:SM. However, I'd much rather prefer that than collecting ridiculous items that break or ones that you could throw. Also better than knocking your enemy on the ground and having to stomp it to death. (highly annoying.)

Could anyone inform me on the purpose of collecting the mementos?

Shattered Memories is a short game. I finished in two days, however, I believe that all the different endings and possibilities involving the questions with Dr. K and how it affects the storyline makes the replay value skyrocket.

Overall, Silent Hill Shattered Memories was a breath of fresh air, in my opinion. I'm a fanatic of the Silent Hill series and anyone else who is shouldn't hesitate to purchase this one. I give it an 8/10. I took two points away for the fact that there were no weapons and no disposing of the monsters. Also, I felt that the graphics could have been pushed to the PS2 limit. Rent or purchase this game, it will leave your palms sweaty and your heart racing.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/09/10

Game Release: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (US, 01/19/10)