Review by boodgenuminus

"Exactly What a Devil May Cry Game Should Be"

All of the community rage surrounding Ninja Theory's reboot of Devil May Cry had me seriously considering skipping this installment of the series, but I decided to give it a go with an open mind.

Boy, am I glad. DmC: Devil May Cry is not a perfect game, but it supplies several hours of engaging, fast-paced fun. I'll break it down.

Story: The story of DmC, while not exactly as profound as it thinks it is, is much better than that of DMC4. The thinly veiled attacks on various aspects of modern life (media, energy drinks) can hardly be classified as satire, and at times come across a little too preachy. Besides these minor gripes, the story is fun, coherent, and simple. Heroic half-demon kills demons. Fittingly for a Dante character, his motivation is not the greater good, but rather his own selfish designs. After normalizing the scale to be Devil May Cry appropriate, I give the story 8/10.

Difficulty: This one was an issue for me. I can't say that the game was tuned for casual gamers more than previous titles (and to anyone that does, I'd like to remind you of the "easy mode" of earlier DMC games - you know, the one that made the game a cakewalk if you died too many times). However, loading the game on the highest difficulty initially available (with more unlocked on subsequent playthroughs) provided little to no challenge for a DMC vet like myself. I believe I died once through the entire game, and had a gold orb handy to instantly resurrect me anyway. Although some games inspire multiple playthroughs by virtue of their greatness (thinking Dark Souls here), DmC wants to force me into multiple playthroughs by painstakingly unlocking each difficulty, one at a time. That is not what I'd call replayability. 5/10.

Graphics: The graphics in this game look good, although the shading on some character models is annoyingly jagged. Cutscenes are cutscenes, and I never allow them to influence the graphics score. What matters to me is in-game graphics, and DmC's are pretty great. The art direction of the game takes some getting used to - for the first several missions, I hated it. But once you begin to feel the differences between "Limbo" and the real world, the art direction makes sense. Enemies are standard DMC variety. Environments are much more interesting than those of past DMC titles, since the world of Limbo allows for some serious flexing of physical boundaries. Lots of floating platforms to jump, double jump, mid-air dash, grapple, dash, grapple again, double jump again through. 9/10.

Dialogue: Corny. Stupid. Embarassing. Classic Devil May Cry! 7/10.

Characters: This seems to be the big sticking point for all the detractors of this game. The characters in DmC are standard for the series. My personal opinion is that the Vergil of the past was quite a bit cooler than the Vergil in DmC, but that's a matter of personal taste. Dante has changed, but pretty superficially. He's a little more aggressive, vulgar, and angry, but he's still just an extremely arrogant dude that KNOWS he's better than everyone else. If anyone thought the redesigned Dante looked a little "emo", I can assure you, nobody is going to catch Dante crying about anything anytime soon. Kat, the young lady who accompanies Vergil and Dante on their quest, is a fairly uninspired damsel in distress, rescued by Vergil from a life of torment - though it is extremely refreshing to see Dante sing her praises and acknowledge her contributions to their efforts. Mundus is the archetype of the devil, and is exactly what you probably expect. Not a lot to say about him. 7/10.

Combat: When the game begins, the combat is very limited and essentially amounts to "press triangle a lot". By the end of the game, the combat has enormous depth. With 5 weapons and 3 guns, all available at any moment, the combos you can create are limitless. I found that every weapon has some appreciable level of utility. This is in stark contrast to DMC3, the golden child of the Devil May Cry series, which gave us such gems as Nevan (the electric, erm, electric guitar), where a weapon's utility was forced upon you by enemy weaknesses. I found that in DmC, I did not use angel weapons strictly for angel-weak enemies, and I did not use demon weapons strictly for demon-weak enemies. I used all weapons with decent frequency, and enjoyed the strengths of each. The amount of depth, variety, and fun in the combat makes this a superb entry in the DMC pantheon. 10/10.

Summary: This game is awesome. You will not be sorry that you played it. You may not fall in love with new Dante, but I doubt that you'll find yourself in the middle of an SSS combo thinking, "I wish this Dante was shirtless, with white hair and a red coat, acting way too cool". Go into this reboot with an open mind, and enjoy!

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/28/13

Game Release: DmC: Devil May Cry (US, 01/15/13)