Review by LeonPlisken

"After 15 years, we've learned to walk."

Lets start off on a simply note, is Resident Evil 6 fun? Yes. Is Resident Evil 6 exactly what you'd expected it would be? No.

Controls - 8/10 - For years people have complained and defended the inability to walk while shooting in Resident Evil. Well now we can finally walk and shoot, and its not game breaking. Its actually a really good middle ground, the movement speed while aiming isn't particularly fast, so you're still quite vulnerable with your gun up, which is a massive improvement. The new camera is a mixed bag, on one hand it borders on a free form camera like MGS4, on the other hand it moves around jiltingly fast and can give you a motion blue headache. The shooting feels a bit better than 5, not a whole lot different, but subtle changes make the guns feel more responsive. Melee combat is almost 100% viable for any gamer to get through campaign and mercenaries mode in this sequel as well. Over all the camera is wonky in places, and the improvements make the game more functional, but don't take away from the feel.

Story - 8/10 - The plot itself is your usual thread barren Resident Evil plot, its no more ridiculous or campy than RE5. I found Leon's campaign to have the most cohesive narrative, Chris's to be the most emotionally charges, and Jake's to just being a bit all over the place. The intersections in the story are kind of neat, some of them even result in some really enjoyable boss fights or cooperative shootouts. I don't want to spoil them, but I found the interaction online to be really well done. There are also lots of little nods to the original RE games, in fact you will over hear, see, fight, and interact with lots of throw backs to what made the old ones fun. These are good plot devices. At the end of the day, I will give it a thumbs up for being just as campy as RE5.

Content - 8/10 - 4 campaigns, Mercenaries, and Agent hunt represent the base playable game. These are all actually a lot of fun. The campaigns all actually do a good job of avoiding feeling like you're running through the same set pieces, the only time it does happy you're often looking at it from an entirely new angle. There are quite a few vehicle sections that even put you in control, my favorite is towards the end of Chris's campaign. The amount of guns in RE6 is far fewer than the amount in RE5, but its still enough to leave you messing with all of them to see which is your favorite. The skill point system adds in a small depth of strategy, but at the end of the day you'll find 3 that work particularly well for you and stick with those.

At the end of the day RE6 represents a solid effort, but falls just short of being an 9 or 10. If the campaigns had had more thorough interaction than the sparing, but intriguing, bits that were in there I might bump it up based on that alone. Its consistently stable, no major bugs, some small collision issues, but nothing game breaking. If Resident Evil 6 were a term paper, I'd give it a B+ for knowing what I wanted, but just not delivering it in the format I would have appreciated.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 10/05/12

Game Release: Resident Evil 6 (US, 10/02/12)