Review by shotyme

"Despite A Few Flaws RE6 Delivers"

Many gamers have been with RE series since the beginning of its time. Back in the older games, you were isolated, had limited ammo, and had to solve various puzzles to proceed. Those days are gone since the series went in the new direction with Resident Evil 4. Now with the release of Resident Evil 6, the series once again somewhat reinvents itself and pulls it off despite taking a few bumps down the road.

Graphics
The visuals are simply outstanding. Everything from character models to creature designs that will make you squirm, the game is to simply put it gorgeous. However there are a few areas in the game that I felt were too dark to the point I couldn't see anything. And sometimes I noticed slight clipping which led to poor hit detection when using melee. Still despite those little flaws, the does a good job in this department.

Sound
The Resident Evil series has been known for cheesy voice acting and it's symphonic musical score. While the latter stays true, the former is no longer the case as the voice actors did a great job at voicing their respective characters. However the star of the show here is the snarls,growls, and squirmy sounds the creatures make. Hearing a screamer zombie for the first will make you shudder. Resident Evil 6 for this reason may just have the best creature design in the series for this reason.

Controls
Now this is where things get a little tricky. While the basic controls are easy to grasp, it's the more contextual commands that bother me. Whether it's taking cover on the wall, rolling when you meant to slide, or a failed QTE event due to a input lag..it sometimes feels meh. Still melee and counters are simple, the move and shoot mechanic while it may take some getting used to, feels good and actually is useful as the enemies you face now can swarm you quickly if you stand still. Another little small gripe, is menu navigation but it's not so bad once you get the hang of it.

Gameplay
This is where Resident Evil 6 shined the most. You are constantly being challenged from all corners as you desperately try to survive whats going on. While the scariness factor is not as prevalent as classic titles, the fear is still there as sometimes you find yourself fighting for your life only to run out of ammo. To me it feels like a nod to older games(especially when played on Pro). As stated before sometimes the QTEs can be frustrating but again it's only a small problem. The story won't win any awards but it's as engrossing as the Resi lore gets. Still pretty entertaining.

Extra Package
The co op, mercenaries mode,no hope mode, and agent hunt ensures that you get bang for your buck.

Overall
While not the best in the series, it stands on it's own mutated legs and is worthy of being a numbered title. Don't let others dissuade you, take the game for it is and I promise you will enjoy it. Worth the buy.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/05/12

Game Release: Resident Evil 6 (US, 10/02/12)