Review by darksombersky

"It has the Resident Evil ingredients, but not the recipe to deliver. An honest review from a RE veteran."

This game needs no introduction to those familiar with the series known as Resident Evil. If you are a veteran of the series then this review is for you. If you're new to the series then you probably won't find this review useful. This is intended to be a review for the fans of the old games. So, to get this started:

You are given the choice to play 3 different campaign modes and characters. Leon, Chris, and Jake. I managed to beat all 3 in the span of 3 days, playing the game in intervals. The game mode for Leon is probably the best. And the main reason is that it actually feels like a Resident Evil game. When I first played the game as Leon I was disappointed because the game starts off really slow and clunky, you aren't allowed to run at all for the first couple minutes of the game and it really had me worried. But, 30 minutes into the game all of my fears went away when I was able to dash back and forth with decent speed.

Leon's story defintely has the feeling of a Resident Evil game. Zombies, a virus contaminating a city, and for the most part familiar gameplay to previous installments. New to this series is the full roam camera and strafe system that is used by many modern third person shooters. Capcom seemed to put a lot of attention to Leon's campaign. For the most part, I was very satisfied with the game playing through Leon's campaign and at the time of playing it, I gave it an easy 8/10.

However, the problem starts with Chris and Jake's campaign modes. They seemed extremely rushed, or at the very least, not very well thought out. Chris's entire story revolves around, mainly being some tacticool Call of Duty clone and being some jarhead military idiot. It just felt really boring and dull to me. I wanted survival horror, but instead I got tacticool military coming to save the day. I wanted to explore interesting areas, I want to unravel a conspiracy, I want to see big mansions, I want to be surprised, I want to feel a Resident Evil game, when done right, can deliver. Sadly, none of these things were found in Chris's campagin or Jake's, The entire fact that you are in a city with tons of military makes the game feel like every cliche, modern Zombie game, military themed game/scenario. I had high hopes for this game, especially after beating Leon's campaign. I was expecting more awesomeness, but instead I was greeted to a military third person shooter with scary enemies thrown in for good measure. If you want to play a good game, you are better off buying Binary Doman and enjoying that. It's at least a decent third person shooter, and isn't super cliche in story line.

Overall, the game feels like it started off as something good, and then Capcom was lazy or rushed and was like, "Okay, enough with Leon's story, let's just scrap it and throw in some other crappy characters" which happen to feel more like side stories than main stories.

Oh, that's another thing. In order to get the full story you have to play through the side stories to get the full story. To call Chris and Jake's campaign a campaign is a joke. It felt like a side story the entire time. It never delivered the goods. It tries to, it builds you up, but then it let's you down badly. It was just a colossal failure. It was a let down like Ninja Gaiden 3. Just stay away from this game. You can rent it for a good time, but you probably won't be satisfied if you are expecting a real good plot, story, game experience. Save your money if you are wondering if you want it or not. It's just a rental at most. Nothing special. Well, Capcom has pretty much ruined Resident Evil, so goodbye RE.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 10/10/12

Game Release: Resident Evil 6 (US, 10/02/12)