Why does dark souls keep forcing 720p?

1. I'm playing with an HDMI cable going to my Acer h213h Monitor. Other games play in 1080p just fine, but whenever I load dark souls, it reverts to 720p on my monitor. I know it's working when in the PS3's menus, it's displaying `080p there. But as soon as the game loads, it goes away.

What gives? Is there anyway I can fix it?

User Info: Yash2k4

Yash2k4 - 5 years ago
    I understand that, but it also doesnt use 1080i, it still uses 720p either way.

User Info: Yash2k4

Yash2k4 - 5 years ago

Answers

1. Just look at the back of the game case...the game caps at 1080i, not 1080p

User Info: GrandPrixGTP

GrandPrixGTP - 5 years ago 0 0
  2. Technically (and I know this doesn't answer your question) 720p is better for gaming than 1080i because the image is "drawn" faster on each refresh. If the monitor is smaller than 36" you probably won't notice a difference anyway.

User Info: silverzgreen

silverzgreen - 5 years ago 0 0
  3. Its because the game forces 720p because its technically better for reasons said above.

If you want it to stop then turn off 720p in your video options then it will run in 1080i :)

If i remember correctly I had the same problem with GTA 4

User Info: Izicial

Izicial - 5 years ago 0 0
  4. The answer is because Computer Monitors do not support 'Interlacing'(thats what the (i) stands for by the way). Only Progressive scan modes e.g., 1080p,720p and 480p. Thus it won't work. Dark Souls supports 1080i but it will only work on normal TV's that support 1080i not CPU monitors.

User Info: campos78

campos78 - 3 years ago 0 0
  5. FRAME RATE (fps) is independent of SCANNING MODE (p/i)

A games fps is constant, regardless of output resolution mode. A console game either runs at 30 or 60 fps. Weather its output in 480/720/1080 i/p, it'll run at the refrsh rate (fps) it was designed for.

However, the fps should help determine which output mode is best, provided 1080p isnt available. If a game running at 30fps supports both 720p and 1080i, then go for the 1080i. This is b/c the blurring effect due to interlaced scanning is very subtle at a 1080 resolution (compared to 480 and 720 interlaced, where it is much more pronounced), and the jitterness of the 30fps refresh will far overshadow it.

For a game running at the all mighty 60fps then typically youll want to output in a progressive scan mode, but not always. Slower adventure type games with slow, smooth camera pan may look better at the higher res 1080i, where fast paced FPS (first person shooters heh) may be better off with the steadier 720p. It really boils down to preference at this point, experiment and see (leave a game at one setting for a few days, then switch to really see the difference).

Right now I cant get Dark Souls to display at 1080i no matter how i configure the display settings, and it says in a special red square that it supports it (and of course 480/720p).

User Info: trancend

trancend - 10 months ago 0 0
  6. ... I'm using a TV that only supports up to 1080i (I have a gaming monitor as well, but the lack of contranst makes darker games look assanine). Its the older Sony KD 30XS955 (super fine pitch native 1920x1080 screen).

Im getting an Altona downscaler for it so I can game in 1080 with PS4 (since ps4 games are all progressive scan, 1080p would get kicked down to 720p, the downscaler will bring it to 1080i, and the lag is <1ms woot woot for me b/c the only tv that compares to mine is the new LG OLED which is like 7k). Peace.

User Info: trancend

trancend - 10 months ago 0 0