Question from johnmgd

Asked: 1 year ago

Why can't I kick?

I'm playing a light armor thief, when I try to kick, I instead do a quick slash then a backflip. I was able to kick in the tutorial but now I can't. It would be extremely useful to be able to kick the skeletons that wield a spear & shield, I'm tired of circling for 5 minutes waiting for them to attack so I can counter!

Additional details - 1 year ago

Correction: not skeletons, I meant the hollow soldiers in the undead parish. But not just for them, I'm sure being able to kick will come in handy elsewhere.

From: AIreadylnUse 1 year ago

Kick is actually a part of a weapon's moveset. Most weapons have a kick or a knee (same push-back effect, seemingly more poise break) but curved swords (falchion/scimitar/etc) have the slash then backflip that you described. The other main exceptions are the rapier class of weapons which have a poke while jumping back and having a full grown egghead which lets you infect someone else with the normally 'kick' command.

If you want a kick command again, switch to something like a straight sword, katana, axe, hammer, club, etc. If you're in love with the curved sword moveset and quick attacks then you can keep your second right hand spot with a weapon with a kick (or empty if you don't have much weight to spare) and switch between them when you want to kick.