Review by ultimatesoldier

"Griefer Souls"

Dark souls is a fun game but there are some flaws in it, so I will explain my opinion as to what the flaws are.

The story is a "save the world plot", except like Demon's Souls, you can choose to damn the world instead, at the very end. Of course to get get an opinion of which ending is good or bad, you have to dig up the background info from the various item descriptions and NPCs, and then form an opinion based on the evidence given to you.

Controls: 8/10
The controls are more fluid then what they used to be, so I really don't got any complaints here.

Most of it looks stunningly beautiful, but, every now and then, you can see missing graphics, visible seams, and the occasional frame rate drop. You really don't need to go out of your way to see some of these but chances are you will be in combat so they can be somewhat ignored at first.

All of it sounds beautiful, so no complaints here. The sound effects are good, and the little music there is in the game sounds great.

Game play: 0/10 (Offline: 9/10 Online: -9/10)
Offline: Generally a fun game to play.I recommend playing offline first, as to get a grip on the game play. Its challenge, while frustrating at times, is generally rewarding as well.There's nothing like the elated feeling you get from defeating a difficult enemy, but, on the other hand, there's nothing like being defeated by your own stupid mistakes like falling off a cliff. "Prepare to die" indeed.

Online: Play something else. Seriously. Thought you could play with your friends? Not unless you are lucky. "But wait, I can play with other people" you think "They must care about the game enough to show a new player the ropes". Oh how wrong you are. Almost all good players left the game after other releases happened so we are left with griefers who glitch to win but complain when you win by their stupid mistakes. Don't go for help either because the summoned help will not help you with the boss because they want to fight other people and think that griefers will be honorable, never mind the fact that griefers never follow rules, anyway. The favorite hotspot for griefers is Undead burg, as in the first level after the tutorial, because they WILL invade your beginning level character with their end-game gear and kill you a lot; so don't reverse hollow unless you are offline, but don't worry, there are summonable NPCs to help you with bosses, as well as NPC invaders that are miles more fair than the online community. This game is not worth the online. It may be innovative but it's still kinda awful. So, if you go online, Prepare to die a lot to griefers that you can do nothing about.

Conclusion: 6/10
I would suggest getting this game for its offline because I found that to be more fun. The online element, thanks to its community, is not worth it. If you want online games, you have a wide variety of options, but if you are looking for a difficult yet rewarding game, PLAY THIS OFFLINE as most of the community is not worth it.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 01/04/12

Game Release: Dark Souls (US, 10/04/11)