Review by AnalyticalGamer

"Goes through the motions of a great game."

The original Tomb Raider was revolutionary for its time. There was not a video game in the market quite like it. The game served as a template for future three-dimensional (Groundbreaking for its time) Action-Adventure games. The game was so successful that it created a popular (And profitable) franchise. Because of this, it was only natural for me to have high expectations for this game. Instead of the complete revitalization of the series I hoped for, this "reboot" is just a decent, but unremarkable clone of other (Far superior) current generation Action-Adventure games.

Gameplay:
Based on the trailers and hype surrounding this game, I expected Tomb Raider to offer a revolutionary twist to the tried and true formula of the series. Games like Uncharted 2 raised the bar for the genre, and this game had the chance to reclaim that spot. Instead, the game merely mimics (And fails to reach) the Uncharted series's thrilling gameplay. Instead of new, groundbreaking concepts, Tomb Raider incorporates gimmicks (Hunting) that add no value to the game. Instead of an interesting and entertaining Multiplayer (Or even no Multiplayer at all), the game adds a basic, done-to-death, competitive system just to claim to have Multiplayer. Instead of the fluid controls that Naughty Dog's current generation games provide, you will die more from inaccurate jumps than in actual combat. I can go on, but I think you get the point.

Score: 5.8/10
* Mechanics: 3.5/10
* Entertainment Value: 6.5/10
* Controls: 5/10

Story:
The story is so cliché, so uninspiring, that I almost wanted to leave this section out of the review. The plot is as lackluster as it gets, but it isn't bad, if that makes ANY sense. All of the events are standard in Action-Adventure games (And movies) today, but the game does a decent job in letting those events unfold. What's truly subpar is the character development. While Lara gets some development throughout the game, the other characters are either stereotypical or completely forgettable. Don't even get me started on the main villain, if you can even call him that... He is forgettable to the point that I literally have no opinion regarding his actions or motives. If the character development was stronger, the story could actually be quite decent. Instead, we get easily one of the weakest stories in a current generation high budget Action-Adventure game.

Score: 5.0/10
* Plot complexity: 6/10
* Emotional Impact: 6/10
* Character Development: 4/10
- Plot Holes: N/A

Sound:
The soundtrack is actually not bad. The music is fitting and doesn't detract from the experience and the voice acting is great. Of course, this is to be expected considering strong voice acting and decent music is normal to any high budget current generation game.

Score: 7.9/10
* Soundtrack: 8/10
* Voice Acting: 8/10
* Sound Effects: 7.5/10

Graphics:
This is easily one of the best looking multiplatform games. Some of the environments are phenomenal and character models are excellent. Unfortunately, there are numerous frame rate issues, but they aren't as frequent or as bad enough to detract from the experience.
Score: 9.0/10
* In-game Graphics: 9.5/10
* Cinematics: 9/10
* FMV: N/A
* Frame Rate: 6.5/10

Replay Value:
There is a lot to do in the game. Countless collectibles and various gimmicks can extend your play time. However, it is up to the player to decide if it's worth doing.
Score: 7.5/10

Final thoughts: I expected a game that revolutionizes the genre, much like how the original Tomb Raider did in 1996. Instead, this is a game going through the motions of a great one, and settles for just "Decent".

Overall score: 6.3/10

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 06/25/13

Game Release: Tomb Raider (US, 03/05/13)