Review by TimeOfTheDark

"Meh.... not that impressive and a bit overrated"

I heard reviewers and friends raving about this game, so I thought I would check it out. Did they see something in it that I didn't because to me this is just a mediocre cover based shooter with awkward controls and combat. For a game that calls itself a role playing/action game, the role playing game elements consists of being able to gain experience, leveling up abilities that are mostly just "make guns stronger", and making dialogue story decisions. The other rpg part is you can pick one of several classes which. The classes are basically like "this one is good with guns" or "this one is good with melee" or another that's good with what you might call futuristic computer magic type stuff. I found the missions themselves to be quite linear. There is nothing revolutionary about this game, in fact, it reminds me of something you might have seen on PS1 that just looks a lot prettier. The story didn't jump out at me either. Without spoilers, It's your basic something invades earth and is destroying it go get help from allies and fight back kind of deal.

The graphics look good at least during story parts, but well the graphics look good on just about any PS3 game, and there are older games that I think look better. Graphics alone don't impress me, so I look to the gameplay. Most of the missions involve cover based combat, because you know, we don't have enough of those types of games. The combat is awkward, the graphics aren't that great to me during the missions, and the controls are just awful. It's really a chore to order teammates around and your X button just does way too many things so you run into problems with it doing things you don't want to do at that moment.

I dislike how paid reviewers will just hand out tens for big name games from big companies just because they are paid to do so. The fanboys of this series raved about this game, so I thought I'd see what the big deal is. To me, there is no big deal here, and you are better off just trying the demo to see for yourself if you like this before you go and potentially waste your money. The game is certainly playable with no HUGE flaws that make it horrible, but it's certainly no where near an amazing game. Mediocre is the perfect definition of this game if you ask me.

This is a short review because I don't really have much else to say about this game. As I said, you probably want to check out the demo first instead of relying on pure hype, especially when that hype is coming from people who are paid to hype up the big blockbuster games and the rest of the hype is coming from blind fanboys who would worship a game in their favorite series no matter how bad or average it really is.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 03/19/12

Game Release: Mass Effect 3 (US, 03/06/12)