Review by llaW_Enots

"If you played SSX through Tricky, read this"

I love the SSX series of games. They stand above even the Tony Hawk Pro Skater series. I had the most fun with SSX 3. Tricky felt more like GTA San Andreas with the Sim-like qualities added. This new version of SSX feels almost right to me.

The latest SSX focuses more on the balance between speed and control. To get medals on some maps, you are forced to pick between either. Some of the maps you can race downwards like a bullet. While the challenging survival maps throw way more at us than what we are used to on an older SSX style map. The old maps seem to be taking place on a rollercoaster or enclosed vert park. But the maps found in this game can be brutal. This should be expected when you are dropped out of a helicopter at the top of Mt. Fuji.

There is no DJ Atomicka through out the races, but the music gets you into the game. If you have a huge distaste for dub step, don't play this game. But it should have been expected that the latest SSX was going to be all over electronic music. It seems to work well. If a song bothers you, there is a way to disable that song in the Audio section.

The game adds gear to help with the barrage of trees, dark lighting, narrow icy lines, and monster jumps. It doesn't matter how good you are at going fast, you will need a certain piece of gear when the level warns about what is coming up.

If you go too fast on survival, you will have to restart. If you are too careful during a race, you won't place too high. Luckily they added two different styles of controls. I thought I would be switching to Classic, but their new Standard controls work better for me.

I've been playing this on my much smaller HDTV and it looks great. The sound is amazing. I sometimes choose to leave this game idling than listen to Pandora, since there are different track lists for menus.

It would have been nice with a split screen, but it's nice to have a full screen to yourself when playing a friend online. And I really don't miss being able to knock other riders down or get knocked down. This really adds to the fun and speed.

I give it a 9/10 because I wanted more DJ Atomicka. Here's to hoping they release Pipe Dreams as DLC.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/01/12

Game Release: SSX (US, 02/28/12)