Question from Ceclor

Weapon upgrades?

Is it possible to upgrade weapons? Some of them have notes like "2/16 Moisten Scale." Well, I have 16 of those and nothing seems to happen. Is this something that opens up way later in the game?

From: ifostastic 3 years ago

If the shop has components listed, those are required to buy the weapon in the first place. The game doesn't have an upgrade system like FF13. Generally, you just buy or find the next best weapon. However, The two ultimate weapons do require both a previous weapon and a set of components to purchase them, but there is no outright picking one weapon and upgrading it for the rest of the game.

Unfortunately, unlike with 13 where all their weapons fold up (except Fang's Spear) to be able to be carried on their back or sides, and each item in 13 has its own Leveling capability, that has been removed from 13-2, most likely because of the fact that in 13-2 Serah's Bowsword and Moogle are one and the same. Perhaps a future DLC will contain the revamped ability to level up her Mog (Go HulkMog! Moogle Smash! Moogle Crush Odin Tin Can!) but at the moment, Mog's still the 'Weakest' of monsters. I mean we don't even give him a role as anything but our weapon!

First of all, yes... the shops do change as story progression goes and even AFTER you beaten the game, and some of them sell different stuff then the others.
Usually at the end of each chapter you can notice some change in the shops
Second, WEAPONS CAN BE UPGRADED!!!!!!!!!!! But not all of them, and it's not like upgrading... much more like the weapon itself is one of the materials required
Good weapons usually require special materials, some require weapons among them (the ultimate ones)
Also, ALL WEAPONS purchasable through additional download content can be bought for 0 gil AND... can be upgraded up to lvl 4 (genji bow etc etc, you can check out my guide if u want more info)

I have been looking for some kind of guide listing the best places to find the components for upgrading the weapons and accessories... Any resources out there? I can buy the new genji weapon, but only if I had the right parts for it... a guide with info on where to get those parts would be nice!

There is sort of an upgrade. You just need different "rare" weapons for I believed 2 weapons. But the most powerful weapons in the game (the Odins) are pretty easy to get though.