Review by jqh97116

"Great game, minor setbacks, but otherwise fantastic."

After a week or so of playing Assassin's Creed III every day, I bring you this review.

Story 7/10

The story is great, even though it's a little slow to get started. You won't really get into the story until Sequence 6. A lot of famous people, (characters) and good voice acting. If you like U.S. Revolutionary times the story will please you immensely. You'll see a few famous battles, moments in history, historic locations, and even events. Only drawback is being Native American doesn't fit well for an assassin, and I don't see how Desmond could be related to them. Thankfully, all the missions play out well and are varied enough. The Naval missions are also a cool new addition which works well.

Gameplay 9/10

Like all the other games, the gameplay is solid and fantastic. It's still rather easy once you get the controls but satisfying none-the-less. Free-running has been improved, and moves added like quickly vaulting over obstacles, more control, etc.

The combat is fluent and fun, with lots of different kill moves and mechanics you must learn to stay alive, like counters, disarms, new tools, and new weapons. You'll seriously never get tired of killing people it's so varied. You can even kill people with tools like snares, trip bombs, etc. during combat!

Hiding and staying undetected has been vastly improved, with bushes, trees, hiding spots, etc. and also some cool new assassination moves like corner assassinate. Every tool has some sort of viable use in every situation, making them all feel needed and not tacked on. The weapons are nice, with a well needed change of pace (Tomahawk :) and the Assassin's Guild/Trading is used well.

Horses handle better, and besides some bugs they are probably the most life-like I've seen in any game. This Assassin's Creed also has hunting, and domestic animals. To name a few: Bears, Dogs, Cats, Goats, Cougars, Deer, Foxes, Eagles, Hares, etc. Personally I think the hunting is better implemented on this then Red Dead Redemption.

There's tons of things to do besides the story missions. Collecting feathers, almanac pages, liberating districts from Templar control, Various guilds, (Hunting, Brawling, Thief, etc) You can also just explore the endless frontier zones and fairly vast cities too.

Graphics 8/10

The graphics are alright. Definitely no wow factor. The cities look good, and you can tell quite a difference between New York and Boston, enough to feel as if the new location is welcome.

The landscape/frontier also look amazing most of the time, but the character models are lacking. You can see the pixels for shading on the faces most of the time, and overall they just don't look good compared to games coming out lately. Animals look realistic, and also move fairly nice.

With over 1,000 body animations, of course Connor looks amazing no matter how he moves. Also, his character model is leagues ahead of the others. Enemy models and animations are also well done and look great.

The Anvil engine does a good job of displaying numerous NPC's, at times showing more then 1,000 troops on screen at once, all while holding up frame rate and decent graphics. There are some minor graphical bugs, like clipping and getting on top of things you aren't supposed to, but other then that I haven't seen any glitches, and the game has only froze once. (Probably my PS3.)

Annoying glitches are random climbing, rare clipping, failing missions because of movement messing up, qhwn you're done with naval missions all your ammo is gone, (Bow, Guns, not the others,) etc.

Sound 10/10

The atmosphere Ubisoft made sound wise for this game is quite stunning. The clatter of hooves, pattering footsteps, the sounds of war, and combat. Chirping birds in the frontier, along with Male elks clashing antlers, and animal sounds all around. All of it sounds absolutely amazing. The sound does cut out once in a while, but only for 1-2 seconds max and it's pretty rare.

Multiplayer 8/10

The online on this game is far different from any other game I have played. I can't go over everything, but I'll try to give you a general idea.

There's Deathmatch, Manhunt, Domination, Artifact Assault, Assassination, and Wolfpack. To name the best.

You can have abilities, customization for characters (There's over 10 different ones with various clothing/weapons/actions for each,) and even minor things like a title below your name, (ex. The Professional) or a profile picture/emblem.

Deathmatch: Kill your target (Another online person, shows you their character and you have to find them and kill them as stealthily as possible. No abilities in this mode.

Manhunt: Teams take turns hunting and hiding. Hunters have to find and kill the other team stealthily to get as many points. The hiding team must hide as a group and stay alive. During Hiding you'll get points for staying alive, and stunning. Teamwork is essential to win for this mode.

Domination: Battle over 3 flags. One team against the other.

Artifact Assault: Basically Capture the Flag. Guard your artifact and steal the enemy teams.

Assassination: Deathmatch with abilities.

And finally WOLFPACK! A game mode where up to 4 people can cooperate to kill targets over 25 sequences. The more stealthy you are the higher the points. You also get more points by doing things as a team. (Sync kills, multi kills, diversions, etc.) Teamwork is essential for a high score.

Conclusion

Ubisoft made another hit in my eyes, and I'm glad I picked it up. I would suggest this game to anyone who likes the Revolutionary History, action/adventure games, and even RPG's. This can appeal to many audiences.

Overall Score: 8.5/10

Pros:
Improved combat and movement.
Good setting.
Lots of things to do. (Worth the $60)
A lot of fun throughout. (Doesn't get boring)
Improved upon older games quite a bit.

Cons
Minor glitches. (NONE gamebreaking.)
Connor doesn't fit in with previous storylines. (Desmond is Italian and Native American?)
Connor isn't likeable. Previous assassin's were a lot better.
Not as much customization as AC2, which sucks.
Underground system feels half finished/unneeded.

To end this review, I'd like to say thanks to Ubisoft for putting together another great game, I'm loving every second of playing. & Thank you for reading, I hope I helped you decide whether this is the game for you.

joe_mgs

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/14/12

Game Release: Assassin's Creed III (US, 10/30/12)