Review by steven27614

"A Tale of Two Games"

It was the best of games, it was the worst of games. Ok, Assassin's Creed is neither the Best game nor the worst. But different segments of the game come close to each, the best being your time in the animus and the worst being your time as Desmond.

Your time in the Animus starts off very strong. The visuals are amazing and the sound really put you in the situation. I just loved the crunching of the snow as you walked across rooftops in the winter. The story is one of the better Assassin's Creed stories as well. With enough twists and turns to keep you interested. But Sadly the game starts so strong that there is nowhere to go but down. At the beginning you meet many historic figures that you've learning about in US history class, but at about the halfway mark they pretty much drop all that and you never heard of them or about them again. Even with the decline in quality the Animus portion of the game is very enjoyable and if that was the game my rating would be much higher, but the Desmond part completely drags it down.

As I controlled Desmond in the modern day I was completely bored and very frustrated. The game tries to explain the overall story with long winded speeches that really don't say anything at all and your objectives in the modern world are poorly explained and completely trial and error. At a point your asked to sneak into a stadiums luxury box without being detected, but it's very had to determine the guard locations and patterns so you just have to try and try again until you get it right. You're also asked to install these power source things in order to complete the game. But again there is no direction at all. You just have to bump around a dark cave looking for climb points. My mistake was putting this off to the end. If you want to play the game I suggest doing the power source things when your father gives you the choice. Otherwise you'll be stuck doing the hour plus task after you beat the main game. The cut scenes while doing these are so boring and long winded I found myself leaving the room until they finished. This left a very bad taste in my mouth at the end of the game. So that is why my opinion of AC3 is so low. Then after you finish the Desmond segments you have to sit through 20 minutes of credits you can't skip in order to play the epilogue segments that really aren't worth it.

Some other things about the game I didn't care for are:

1) Combat System – it was completely changed and poorly explained, so AC vets might spend a good portion of the beginning of the game doing it all wrong. Even when you learn the system it still feels buggy and unintuitive.

2) Lack or shops and weapon/armor upgrade – there are none. The side stuff seems stripped from the game. Even the eagle nests seem pointless because the map fills in as you walk and there aren't many points on the map you care about. There are some side stuff but it's only for trophy hunters. They do nothing for your character.

3) Assassinations – Sure you kills targets, but you never feel like an assassin. Kills are often during a cut scene with the press of a button.

In conclusion, the game could have been pretty good if the Desmond part was taken out or at least not as boring or frustrating. It seems like a very poor decision to have players end their adventure in the animus then make then deal with 2 hours of the least enjoyable game play I've ever encountered. Putting the train wreck of a game is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 12/07/12

Game Release: Assassin's Creed III (US, 10/30/12)