Review by zack125

"“While men of courage write history of this day, the future of our land depends on those who are truly free. “ Connor"

Assassin's Creed III was in development since 2010, meaning it would have been worked on for almost three years by the time it was released.

One of the new things introduced in this game is the new engine called AnvilNext, which improves the environment and adding more NPCs on screen at the same time, adding 1000 NPCs on screen at once. Another thing it adds is a seasonal change, going from summer to winter. During winter, it will affect gameplay a little bit as you will move more slowly. I will not go into detail about the gameplay for now. Let's first talk about…

STORY

After Jupiter showed him the location of the Grand Temple in Revelations, Desmond, followed by Rebecca, Shaun and Desmond's father, William, finally arrived at the location at the beginning of the game. After going inside, they arrive at a big door, which they need to open it in order to proceed. However, it needs a key in order to open (isn't it always) so back in the Animus 3.01 we go.

First, we go in as Haytham Kenway. He goes to the Royal Opera House and steals a medallion. This is the key Desmond and the party needs in order to proceed in the Temple. Once Haytham has it, he is sent to America to find the Temple. He allied with one of the Natives named Kaniehti:io to find it. Once the cave's entrance to the Temple has been found, Haytham discovers he doesn't have the means to open the door to the Temple itself. He and Kaniehti:io develop a romantic relationship, but only briefly. It was enough for Ratonhnhaké:ton (No last name for him; he was renamed Connor later in the game) to be born.

What problems do I have with the story? Well, it's mainly the Desmond portion of the game. This isn't a problem specific to this game but hoped it would have been different by the time Assassin's Creed III came around. The heart of the games takes place in the Animus and I really feel like there isn't much at stake while playing as Desmond. He's supposed to save the world and yet, I really feel like there isn't much going for him. Not only that but considering William is now back in his life and I don't see much connection between the two. Desmond saves William at some point but I really didn't feel any emotional payoff for that.

GAMEPLAY

The gameplay in this game has been changed from previous games and I think for the better. Things that you will notice is that dual-wielding has been implemented, fighting itself has been improved. For example, you can take multiple takedowns and chain kills.

This game also offers more weapons than any previous games in the series such as a tomahawk, hidden blades, swords, a pistol, rope darts and a bow and arrow. These will give you more of an edge while killing an enemy.

The economics system is also another thing that really changed in this game. For starters, you can kill animals, skin them and bring their pelts for sell. Whenever I play this game around friends and we do kill animals, the one thing that everybody brings up is Red Dead Redemption. I'm sure you though of it while playing it as well. Yes, this did bring some thought to RDR but they are both different games from different series with different things going for them. I'm not going to go deeper than this.

Another way to gain income is through trading. Connor will live in a manor and he will invite other people to live on the land. Each of these people will make something (like wood or crates) through which you will be able to trade.

Another small note I'm going to bring is that the regenerating health from Assassin's Creed 1 makes a return here.

SOUND

Everything in this game sounds stunning. Everything from footsteps, animals and the sound of waves on your ship. I really have no complaints here.

MULTIPLAYER

Since Brotherhood, Ubisoft has added an multiplayer section to this game. It includes Deathmatch, Manhunt, Domination, Artifact Assault, Assassination, and Wolfpack. Like I've mentioned in previous that included it, I've never spent much time playing multiplayer on games so I'm not going much farther than this.

CONCLUSION

Overall, I felt this game was terrific. I'm aware I've skipped the graphics but I've talked about it a bit in my introduction.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 02/06/13

Game Release: Assassin's Creed III (US, 10/30/12)