Review by zack125

""Could it be that you are every bit as deadly as the legends say? Or am I in charge of an army of drunks swinging sticks? ""

Assassin's creed: Revelations was released on November 15, 2011 on both the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 and on November 29th, 2011 on the PC. We came a long way when Ezio witnessed his father and brothers murdered in the beginning of Assassin's Creed II and finally, we will see his final journey take place in Constantinople. How is this any different from the previous games? Well, take a look and be the judge in the end.

The story

The game begins with Desmond in the Animus. I do mean literally, as he's currently in a coma, due to how the last game ended. In order to keep him stable, the other assassins put him in the animus in something called the “Black Room”. Others will call it the Animus Island. Inside, Desmond meets subject 16, the one responsible for encrypting the Animus in the previous two games by adding puzzle elements in the game. Subject 16 tells Desmond the only way to get out of the Animus is to continue to watch his ancestors until they have nothing more to show him. That's what he did.

Ezio's last chapter begins in Masyaf. He's looking to uncover the secrets left by Altaïr in order to uncover his purpose against the Templars. When that goes unsuccessful, his journey takes him to Constantinople where he will learn how to unlock Altaïr' secrets.

Gameplay

The gameplay mechanics in Revelations almost stays the same since Assassin's Creed II. This is why I felt the gameplay was stagnant. There are still new methods of gameplay that was introduced in the game like the hookblade, which is an extension of the hidden blade. With it, you can grapple onto ledges faster, flip your enemies to avoid a fight and you can even use it on ziplines. I think it's a great addition that came too late into the franchise as I felt the gameplay was still stagnant at times.

Assassins recruits

Another thing from Brotherhood returned and in my opinion, for the better. In order to recruit them in this game had Ezio given new mission types before they accepted to be part of the guild. Up to seven assassins could become Master of an Assassin's Den.

Graphics

Assassin's Creed: Revelations uses the Anvil engine. When you play this game, you will see a really nice improvement from previous games in the franchise. Nothing else to say so let's move on.

Replay value/

Even with the gamplay that really is starting to show it's age, I can still find some enjoyment out of it. One of the things I really enjoy doing is building a strong brotherhood of assassins and buying stores. I know that might have sounded weird to some but to each their own, I suppose.

Like it's predecessor, Revelations came with some multiplayer action. Some changes has been made like really taking into account your surroundings for your targets, the line of sight indicator was the target's portrait and when it changed to blue, it meant he or she was in sight. To be honest, though, I rarely play multiplayer when a game introduces it which means I don't really have strong feelings for it in this game.

Conclusion

Overall, I think this game was ok. I just felt the gameplay was stagnant and the story wasn't that impressive but the game still has a certain charm that keeps me back to it.

But for those who completed this game and wish to see the last few days of Ezio's life, Ubisoft has made a twenty minute video for just that called Assassin's Creed: Embers. Go check it out if you're interested.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 11/28/12

Game Release: Assassin's Creed: Revelations (First Print Limited Edition) (US, 11/15/11)