Review by gameghy555

"Whoever made the title should be fired. Keep everyone else though."

PlayStation's All-Stars Battle Royale (PASBR) is flawed yet fun. I enjoy fighting games, but I'm nowhere near a pro. Some of my favorites include Tekken, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, Super Smash Bros., and Bloody Roar. I'm also a huge fan of other games. These games include Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Bioshock, Sonic, Ratchet & Clank, Killzone, Pokemon, Infamous, Kingdom Hearts, Fat Princess, etc. By now you should know why I was interested in this game. I'm going to break down the review by talking about single player, offline multiplayer, online multiplayer, and customization. After that I'm going rate story, cast, music/sound, graphics, game-play, and replay value.

The single player isn't anything special. There are a couple of modes. This includes arcade, combat trials, and tutorials. I was really excited for arcade mode. I wanted to see how SuperBot (developers of PASBR) would create this fan-fiction of my favorite video game characters. Each character has an intro and outro which are just voice overs with pictures. There is a video that plays when each character meets his/her rival. There isn't much depth with the story, but it's just like most other fighting games. However, I was hoping for a bit more depth. The arcade mode is a few timed and stocked matches. Combat trial is a nice addition. It's just a few challenges to test your skills. Tutorial is actually useful. It will help you learn every unique move for every character (along with combos). I wish there was more extra single player modes. It would add variety after finishing the single player experience.

Offline multiplayer mode is very well done. You have the ability to customize between timed versus stocked. You can customize AI difficulty, specific item spawning, hazards, etc. Offline multiplayer allows you to do the greatly anticipated 1v1 (unlike online multiplayer). However, if you actually play 1v1, you notice how broken it is.

Online multiplayer mode is great. It has mostly all mentioned in offline multiplayer except for the 1v1. It also has a tournament mode. You can earn certain colored belts after winning enough. This is great for those who want to play competitive. There are a few lag glitches right now, but I'm sure SuperBot will patch that up soon. There are also major balancing issues (Krato's AP build and auto-aimed pull in, Raiden's Sonic-like speed, Dante's near unlimited juggling, etc.). This will take SuperBot a while to fix. I expected this for a new fighting game.

Customization is pretty cute, but a few features are pointless. As you play with each character, that character has a rank which increases with more use. The higher ranks allow you to gain customizable items. The alternative costumes are awesome. The minions (mini cheerleaders that root for you) are surprisingly a great idea. The victory music is hilarious. The taunts get players mad. The only issue is the intro/outro animations. These animations are perfectly fine. However, people always skip them. People see them so often that it's just a burden. That's the only flaw honestly.

It's time to rate the story, cast, music/sound, graphics, game-play, and replay value. This is important side of the review.

STORY

Rivalry was cute, but it lacked depth. There wasn't much explanation about the final boss or what the power of AP was, but some of it can be pieced together. Evil Cole's ending gives you an idea of what the power is (sort of). I was hoping for more story related battles prior to the rival battle. However, this being the first PASBR and being a fighting game, it was still a cute story.

RATING: 7/10

CAST

This was one of the most important aspects of this game. Being similar to SSB (note the keyword similar…not same), you expect the best of the best characters. However, greedy companies forced SuperBot to get the best they can for what they can afford. This is why Crash, Spyro, Cloud, Solid Snake, classic Dante (although modern Dante is cool too), Lara Croft, Sora, etc. weren't in this game. I was disappointed by this. However, this cast is still pretty darn good. We got major faces like Kratos, Sackboy, Nathan, and Ratchet. Don't forget Big Daddy. He's from one of the most historically important video game characters of all time. Also, SuperBot kept their promise by providing DLC characters. Kat (Gravity Rush) and Emmett (Starhawk) will soon join the cast early 2013. I do not like DLC at all, but SuperBot will give us these two characters for free for the FIRST TWO WEEKS ONLY. Make sure you guys/girls get these characters as soon as you can.

Rating: 8/10

MUSIC/SOUND

The music is great. The game has some of the original soundtracks and some of the soundtracks are remixed. The sound is chaotic (as it should be). There is so much going on during battles. I can't say much about this. The music/sound isn't super spectacular, but it's still really good and doesn't get in the way.

GRAPHICS

The characters look like themselves for the most part. The stages are gorgeous and colorful. Some of the mash ups could have looked a bit better. There isn't much to say about this. Just glance at the game and you'll form a quick opinion. Personally, I don't think some of the characters don't look so great with others.

Rating: 8/10

GAME-PLAY

This is amazing, purely amazing. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it's not too bad. This game has a bit of depth for a “fun” fighting game. I think SuperBot has done a good job balancing this out. It only takes 20-30 minutes to learn a new character. However, it takes hours to master a new character. This invites both casuals and hardcore players. I've been playing hours since one of the earlier private betas. My brother and I go hard in tournament mode. It's a great game. As mentioned earlier, it needs character balance patches.

REPLAY VALUE

As for single player mode, there is arcade mode (simple/cute but generic) and combat trials (a nice addition). Honestly, this needs more variety. A side-scrolling mode would be amazing. The multiplayer modes will keep you busy for months. I've been obsessed with it. There are also many minor items you can gain for ranking up each character.

Rating: 9/10

Honestly, I really enjoy the game and hope it does well. I would love to see patches and sequels. There is a lot of hate of how this is a SSB rip off or an epic fail without so-and-so cast, but it really isn't. It looks similar on the surface compared to SSB, but plays very differently. It has a different cast. It has different maps. If you want to play a game for fun, then play this game.

OVERALL: 8.3

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/27/12

Game Release: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (US, 11/20/12)