Review by Thunder_Armor

""Sony Smash Bros" proves it can be its own game."

When this game was revealed before the title was officially released, fans gave it the moniker "Sony Smash Bros". The resemblance between this game and Nintendo's hit series is uncanny and comparing the two is definitely justified. Both games are 4 player, crossover brawlers with party and platform elements. But the resemblance ends there. If you go into this game expecting it to be like Smash Bros, you'll be surprised.

Gameplay - 9/10

It's normally quite difficult to talk about a fighter's gameplay without getting too in depth. So, allow me to give a quick overview. SuperBot did a great job at making every character unique. All 20 play differently and have their own strengths and weaknesses. Colonel Radec is at his best from a distance, but will get knocked around in a melee. Big Daddy is a bruiser up close, but his range options are limited. Sackboy and Sly Cooper are for the more tactical player. I also really have to applaud SuperBot for representing who the character is and what they do in each moveset. Characters like Ratchet that stem from big series with a lot of sequels have moves that are pulled from both both older and newer games. It's quite impressive. The "story mode" is basically an arcade mode that you can play through with each character. In a fighting game it's not that big a deal, but I know this will disappoint some people.

Roster - 7/10

This is where most of the game's criticisms come from, and rightfully so. 1st party representation is fine. You've got all the stars. Some old PS1 and PS2 classics are dusted off and brought back, like PaRappa the Rapper, MediEvil's Sir Daniel, and Jak and Daxter. 3rd party representation is where the game lacks. The game could have really used Crash Bandicoot, Solid Snake, or Cloud Strife to liven up a somewhat small roster. As these characters aren't the intellectual property of Sony, I get why they aren't here, but I think it's still a valid complaint. There is a possibility of DLC characters coming soon, so keep an eye out for it.

Presentation - 8/10

The music in the game is pretty good. As stages are mashups of two different series, remixes from two different series will play on each stage. The graphics look clean and crisp in HD. Menus are a bit boring, but that's a minor complaint. The online is great for the most part (much better than Brawl's!), but I've had instances where I'll end up as a character I didn't pick. There is no 1 vs 1 matchmaking which is disappointing. There are customizable taunts and intros which is a nice little addition.

All in all, this game is a fun title for PlayStation fans of all kinds. People looking for a more casual game will like how easy it is to pick up and play, and people looking for a tactical fighter will appreciate the depth SuperBot added. Although it has its flaws, the game is entertaining and deep, and worth retail price for anyone who loves PlayStation.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/27/12

Game Release: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (US, 11/20/12)