Review by Crimson_Merc

"The Long Awaited MGS4 Is here..."

The Metal Gear Solid stories have been around longer than I have been gaming. I, myself, have only played two and three, but 4 was easily my most anticipated game I've had so far.

The story is very complex. It has some twists and it explains all of the major questions about anyone in the game. Although at times, it is difficult to follow. One twist made me rethink about everything I knew about the previous MGS games. If you have a decent attention span, the story should be high for you.

I spent a couple minutes just thinking if I could find anything I disliked about this. Well, there are a couple things I did not like, but that was solely because I was not skilled enough in the game. The lower your stamina gets, the harder it is to aim. Higher stress makes your stamina go down faster. It is fairly difficult at first, but after a short period of time you start to understand it. There are several ways to approach the game: Stealth, Run and Gun, and Balanced between the two. Those added with the 16 and a half hours it took me to complete the game could add up to almost 50 hours, which leads me to my next catagory.

Replayability: 10/10

Like previously stated, there are several ways to approach the main story, adding up to around 50 hours. Most games I only play once. There are less than 5 games that I beat over two times, and MGS4 will soon be added to that list. MGO also adds a bunch more of replayability. Honestly, myself, I have yet to play MGO, but I have participated in the Beta and I enjoyed it.

Several times (Mostly in the end cutscene) I saw clips that looked real enough to be in a movie. I was awed the first time the helicopter came down to pick you up during the beginning, and it felt as if it looked better on my lowly 480i TV than on the hi def videos I've seen on my computer. I didn't notice any framerate problems whatsoever.

The sound was amazing at times. There were a couple times where I didn't like the voice acting. Some of the beauties sounded fake and one or two lines from Snake didn't feel right. The mooing sound the Gekkos make are much higher pitched in the game than in the cutscenes, which was a little dissapointed to me, because it made them look less frightful. The sound of the explosions and gunshots slightly made up for this.

Overall: 10/10 (Not an average)

A 10/10 in my opinion does not mean a perfect game, but means I could not think of a way to improve it. From bullets and beasts screeching overhead, to the cheers of victory by militiamen, to the cutscenes and the graphics, all add up a very fulfilling and cinematic experience. A must to anyone who owns a PS3 for gaming.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/16/08

Game Release: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (US, 06/12/08)