Review by Mesiarp

"My God, Hideo. Who are you?"

Wow. This was the first, and only words out of my mouth for the first eight hours I played this game. Hideo Kojima is back, with his final installment of the Metal Gear legacy, and what a masterpiece it is. This is my review of the single player journey.

Story (10/10).

The story takes us in the shoes of the greatest hero that ever lived. Old, and feeling his age, Snake has one more mission to accomplish. After finding out some bad news, it is time Snake crushes a threat to the whole world, before it is too late. I won't get into details. Even if I did tell you every story aspect, I could never in a million years tell it in the same way you can be told by playing. Some stories cannot be told by words alone!

Graphics (9/10)

Unbelievable. The graphics in this game are something I have never in my twenty eight years, imagined I would see. The picture in this game is not just about the graphical beauty (although it is stunning). It is also about the art. The artistic design in this game is unsurpassed. So much detail put into so many things, it is mind boggling. There is a very small problem with jagged edges (in shadows particularly), but it in no way hurts the eyes. Absolutely beautiful game. You just don't see games like this anywhere.

Gameplay (10/10)

Ah, the bread and butter of the game. Well, actually let's say the story is the peanut butter, and the gameplay is the jelly. The two intertwine flawlessly to become one magnificent being. From the variety of the guns, to the well designed camera control, it all works, and works extremely well. Just when you get used to the controls, and gameplay aspects, the game throws another toy, or option to play with. It is truly unbelievable how much time must have been spent on this alone. For the first time in my life, I can say the gameplay in a video game is flawless. Very fun to play with, addicting, and rewarding. There are many ways to go about every mission. Some may say it is linear. I say that is a good thing. Like I said, there are many ways to go about each mission, but it never gets too drawn out. It's perfect.

Sound (10/10)

Oh my. The first set piece of the game had me reaching for my milky and blankie. Truly awe-inspiring. From the rich, deep sounds of combat all around you, to the Oscar worthy soundtrack, It seems like it never ends. One beautiful orchestra of sound to another, it never gets old. Please tell me you have surround sound!

Overall (10/10)

Listen. I am not one to tell you to purchase a system just so you can play this game. I am one to tell you, if you have enough cash, and are looking for some entertainment that will last you for months and months to come, this will not disappoint. If you have a PS3, there is no question. You have to experience this. If not for the emotional, thrill ride, then just so you can tell everyone you were a part of this spectacular journey.

Pro's-
Astonishing visuals
Fantastic sound and music
Superb gameplay
Excellent story
Lengthy
Ties up loose ends nicely

Con's-
Slight graphical jagged edges
You have to get up and go pee every once in a while

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/16/08

Game Release: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (US, 06/12/08)