Review by bugkill1sf

"A perfect finale......."

The reason I gave this game a 10/10 is because MGS4 has surpassed my expectations and is better than the previous games, and the graphics is not the main reason why it is a major improvement. Kojima has been able to make the Metal Gear series come full circle with the implementation of customizing your weapons and being able to fight your way through the game. It is all about choice and Kojima allows us to choose the way we want to get through the game, and that was very important. Here are some other key points:

GRAPHICS: I really do not have to talk about the graphics, except they are the best that I have seen on a console, period.

STORY: Yes, it can be very complicated story for casual gamers, but I consider the cutscenes to be very top notch and it fleshes out the story that every MGS fan will appreciate and understand.

GAMEPLAY: The over the shoulder view and CQC gives the player so many options, and it makes MGS4 the most enjoyable game of the series. The best feature that Kojima made was the weapons customization. You expect this stuff in a FPS, but Kojima hit the hammer on the nail with all the weapons and attachments from the Drebin Shop, it is a gun freaks wet dream and it makes you wonder why COD4 or RB:6 Vegas did not have all of this stuff in their games.

PRESENTATION: The game is fantastic and the many cutscenes actually helped to draw me into the game even more. It made me appreciate my accomplishment when I finish a tough boss or get through a tough level. Also, the different locales work very well and made the game feel more like an epic.

REPLAY VALUE: The SP game is definitely worth a second and maybe even a third run through. Also, the game has Metal Gear Online and from what I've seen so far, it is a blast to play once you get used to the pace. I usually play FPS online (with Gears of War being the exception), but MGO is pretty darn cool and you will be up to speed with how plays after time in SP.

All in all, MGS4 is one of the best games I have played in years, a bona fide masterpiece! This game has "once again" raised the bar on "tactical espionage", but also on how to please fans of a series.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/16/08

Game Release: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (US, 06/12/08)