Review by Killer_Haseo

"Simply amazing..."

Metal Gear Solid; three words that almost ever gamer has heard of, an amazing series that has been around for quite a while. Now comes the much anticipated and hyped Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, for the PlayStation 3. This title has gotten much, much, much talk, but does it deliver? Why yes, yes it does, big time.

Metal Gear Solid 4's gameplay is unlike anything I have ever played before. The amount of freedom you are giving is insane, it truly is a game where you chose how you want to approach the situation. You have something called the “Octo-Camo”, which allows you to “blend” in with your surrounding, similar to MGS3's camo system, except the suit has the ability to automatically change based on where you are, like a chameleon.

On the other hand, the combat system has been greatly upgraded, and feels similar to Resident Evil 4, in the sense of the over-the-shoulder aiming view, though you can also move around. You can also go into a FPS view by tapping the triangle button, which greatly increases your precision. A plethora of weapons await Snake in his cause, which can all be customized with attachments, like scopes, lasers, grips, flash lights, etc.

The game also includes a money type system, which are based off of weapons you pick up. If you have that weapon already, and pick it up again, you will take the ammo, but the gun will be sold to “Drebin”, a weapons launderer, in return for points, in which you can upgrade your weapons, buy new ones, or items, and the like.

Metal Gear Solid 4's graphics will truly leave you with your mouth open, and your eyes wide open, fixated on the screen for every minute you play it. There is no difference from cut-scene to in-game, it's all the same, and the way it blends together will keep you feeling like you're actually in the game. These are truly some of the best graphics I have ever seen, and playing on a huge HD TV is an experience that I will never forget—it is something you have to experience. There is so much detail put into everything in the game, from the papers, leaves, snow, and debris floating around in the air—to the character models and how they react, so life-like to their surroundings.

Everything looks incredibly realistic, to the point where you won't want to go back to playing anything else with lesser looks. Explosions, air-strikes, flash grenades, fire spreading out around you, it will all engross you in the game, keeping your eyes quickly moving, you hands sweating, and your eyes on the prize—keeping yourself alive through all the madness going on around you.

Metal Gear Solid 4's story is something amazing. And sadly, I can't dig very far into it during this review, as I wouldn't want to spoil anything for you. But it is filled with everything from deep emotions, to deep characters. The story will grip you in, and keep you wanting to play and play, in order to find out what happens next. Cut-scenes are, at times, a bit long, which is something that some people may complain about. But it honestly doesn't matter when it involves a story as gripping as MGS4's. It isn't all seriousness, all the time, either, the game is also filled with many humorous points, which I guarantee will make you laugh, or at least smirk.

The sound is also amazing, as sticking with the trend of the rest of the game. Mortar fire, air-strikes, gun shots cutting through walls, reflecting off steel, tanks crushing through walls around you—EVERYTHING about the sound matches your surrounding perfectly. It's yet another factor, paired with the gameplay, graphics, and story that truly make you feel as though you're in the game, the role of Snake, trying to make it through alive.

Final Thoughts:

I can't even begin to actually explain to you all just how amazing of a game this is. It is just what the PS3 needed, and it is just what the MGS series needed. Konami decided to drastically change the style of how MGS played for this installment, and, much to my surprise from seeing earlier trailers, it couldn't have worked out any better for the series. MGS4 took a big step, in all factors, and I believe that everyone should play it, and all other Metal Gear's before it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/16/08

Game Release: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (US, 06/12/08)