Review by CoolCatFish34

"More a interactive movie than a game"

The metal gear solid series has been a great asset to the Playstation and to some extent the PC format. I was eagerly awaiting the final installment of the metal gear solid series that had given me so much enjoyment in the past ranging from the first game on the Playstation all the way to metal gear solid 3 on the Playstation 2. I have broke down this review into different sections which will explain the Gameplay, Story, Sound and Replay ability with my final recommendation at the end.

Gameplay

The gameplay which has been ever developed as the series goes on .It disappointed me for the first time in the series, none of it was inventive as the games predecessors and the octocam suit felt like a tacked on version of the camouflage suits of metal gear solid 3. I mean it's all well and pretty matching your suit to the environment but it not that exciting as a new feature. The A.I has no been improved over previous incarnations of the series which is also a major disappointment for me as it feels to me they did not take full advantage of the Playstation 3's cell technology.

There is a variety of weapons available in the game but after a while you will not use most of them, only a select few to get the job done. There is a broad range of difficulties levels ranging from gung- ho easy to the sneaking near impossible which is a nice range for newcomers and old alike to the series. The enemies vary little from regularly soldiers to Special Forces that take up the most part of the early game to walking robots near the end.

This time around the boss fights were not as varied as flesh out as in the previous games, most of them felt very similar which left a bitter taste in my mouth after experiencing past bosses in the game except for metal gear solid 3.

The most annoying thing is that you had to install the game every time before an act even if you have completed it on a previous file.

Story

The voice acting was okay, nothing special compared to previous ones but a few cringe worthy scenes popped up now and again which ruined the mood. Some of the humor was inviting but I felt they put too many of these types of scenes in this game. I felt as they were trying to wrap up the story that things got muddled up as they tried to tie up all the loose ends. This lead to questioning some of the writer's choice in ending but most of the story was intact.

I felt the story was more valued than the gameplay by the designers, I felt this made the gameplay suffer and it become a stop start motion of gameplay and cut scenes which in the later levels really became tiresome.

Graphics

The graphics were good for the most part with snake and other main characters obviously detailed from head to toe but I felt in other areas of the graphical department the game lacked. Outside/Inside exteriors just needed a little bit of touch up work and some of the enemies felt rather bland, most of the bosses also seemed not very colorful and like the gameplay looked very similar. The gun models looked good and the bullet effects with the shells were a nice touch but once again the ground seemed to be the focus point and the walls for instance getting get more attention.

It does look good but games like Uncharted Drake Fortune made better use of the Playstation 3's graphical power. In some cases Solid Snake does stand out which could be good to some players but ruined the immersion for me which I like in a video game.

Sound

The voice acting was good with the main characters putting up their usual high quality performers but once again it seems the other cast members doing smaller roles let the team down and it suffers such as some of the bosses and conversations you overhear as Snake in the game. The music is okay but nothing as moving or impacting as in previous games. An inclusion of a certain item doesn't really help and just feels tacked on.

Replay ability

It will is good playing it the first time just to finish the story, you can replay it on different difficulty settings if you wish to challenge yourself or try new ways of getting around a map or disposing your enemies. Though after this is really gets tedious unless you are an avid fan.

Recommendation

I think Metal Gear Solid 4 is an okay game but falls short in many areas and did not take full advantage of the Playstation 3's power. If you are a fan of the series then I recommend you buy it but if you just want to finish the story or looking for an action game with a bit of stealth I think you should just rent it at your local video game store.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 06/19/08

Game Release: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (US, 06/12/08)